Proton GE, the community-built version of the Windows compatibility layer Proton has a new release available and there's quite a lot of fixes included.
If you're not clear on what Proton and Steam Play are, be sure to check out our constantly updated dedicated page. It's a special compatibility layer for running Windows games and apps from Steam on Linux. Proton GE is not affiliated with Valve/Steam, it also has less quality assurance versus the official Proton but often ends up with special game-specific fixes quicker.
Proton-6.15-GE-1 and shortly after Proton-6.15-GE-2 with a few extra fixes are live now. A fair bit of it is pulling in fixes from the official upstream Proton like the cloud save fixes, multiple font fixes, Project Cars III window focus fixes and Tokyo Xanadu Xe+ ASF fixes. There's also a workaround for FFXIV having a broken login button, there's a FFXIV frame timing configuration for DXVK to resolve some stuttering, a fix for some Unity games that had broken Microsoft's Media Foundation Platform in 6.14, a patch to help Riftbreaker and other game-specific fixes.
Other updates include Wine / Wine Staging at version 6.15, DXVK added the latest git fixes to help Endless Legend and Borderlands 2, VKD3D added the latest git code and the same for FAudio. Interestingly VKD3D has a patch added for Diablo II Resurrected, which the Proton GE developer notes it was added "in case it fixes other games" as non-Steam games are not supported with Proton.
The quick follow-up release with GE-2 added a fix for TemTem, Tokyo Xanadu eX+ and has a workaround to skip Call of Duty Black Ops III videos making it playable.
If you do use this version, you may want to make save backups for the Steam Cloud fixes so you don't lose them - just in case. Proton GE's developer also notes you will want to "remove your old game prefixes so that they are properly regenerated with new symlinks". More on how to do that in our previous article.
How to install Proton GE? Here's a quick how-to:
- Download the Proton-6.15-GE-2.tar.gz file from the release notes.
- If this folder does not exist, create it:
- Extract the archive downloaded in Step 1, and place the contents into the above directory.
- Restart Steam if it's open which refreshes the Steam Play list for Proton-6.15-GE-2 to show up.
- Right click on your game, go to Properties, Compatibility and ensure the box is ticked named "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" then select it from the dropdown box that appears.