Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone with no article paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.

Probably one of the more exciting releases of Proton lately, with lots of what was previously in Proton Experimental now in the main release with Proton 6.3-8 out now. Be sure to check out our full Steam Play guide if you need more info.

A big addition is the start of support for BattlEye games. Before getting overly excited though, this is just the start of it with only Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord and ARK: Survival Evolved confirmed to be supported by Valve. This is what was previously announced, with developers only needing to get in touch with BattlEye to have it turned on.

We also have the older CEG DRM now hooked up and working, bringing with it more classics working that relied on it.

On top of that there's even support for NVIDIA DLSS for games that use DirectX 11 and 12, although it still needs you to make some manual adjustments to turn it on for now which includes using this launch option PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 %command% and also setting dxgi.nvapiHack = False in a DXVK configuration file (guide).

Here's the list of newly playable Windows games on Linux:

• Age of Empires 4
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Breath of Death VI
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II singleplayer (202970)
  • DEATHLOOP
  • FIA European Truck Racing Championship
  • Fly'N
  • Game Dev Tycoon
  • Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered
  • GreedFall
  • Mafia II (Classic)
  • Magicka
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (AMD GPUs only)
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition (ME1 does not have working audio, see #4823)
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Video Game
  • Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Video Game 2
  • Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl
  • Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slicked Precipice of Darkness 3
  • RiMS Racing
  • Sol Survivor
  • The Riftbreaker
  • TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge
  • TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2

Other improvements include the latest Steamworks SDK support, DXVK upgraded to v1.9.2-13-g714ca482, VKD3D-Proton upgraded to v2.5-50-g0251b404 and also Wine-Mono to version 6.4.1.

There's also a number of game-specific bug fixes that made it on for

• Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Biomutant
  • Bloons TD6
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Fallout 76
  • Gahkthun Steam Edition
  • Industries of Titan
  • Paradox Launcher
  • Project Cars 3
  • Project Wingman, Satisfactory and other Unreal Engine 4 games using the Vulkan renderer
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience
  • Satisfactory also saw a networking fix for multiple interfaces
  • Warhammer: Chaosbane

You can see the official changelog on GitHub any time.

28 Likes
We do often include affiliate links to earn us some pennies. We are currently affiliated with GOG and Humble Store. See more here.

m2mg2 3 days ago
Quoting: Rob-Retro
Quoting: Comandante ÑoñardoIs there a list of CEG games?

No, i tried searching and found nothing helpful, but did find out that FEAR 3 and HomeFront use CEG and now run and work.

Game with CEG that work for me are:

Aliens vs Predator 2010 (DX11 mode)
Fear 3
HomeFront
The Bureau - XCOM Declassified (DX11) - bad performance, DX9 mode is worse
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - works great, starts in low resolution and have to wait until your in-game to set options

Games with CEG that run now but have problems:

BioShock Infinite - Random Freeze crashes
The Darkness 2 - runs but has no voice audio
Duke Nukem Forever - runs but crashes randomly with a crash report dialog box with no text displaying
Just Cause 2 - only loads to a blank black screen and have to force close the Game

Did find this list: https://gist.github.com/Plagman/eac7cf27885df24dec48f1477a447e1f

Hope that's of some help.

I have been playing it recently. Picked up from my last save which was around 10 years ago.

Last edited by m2mg2 on 26 November 2021 at 1:40 am UTC
Rob-Retro 3 days ago
Quoting: m2mg2Just Cause 2 will will minimize on launch and you cannot focus it unless you use %command% /borderless=1

Does not minimize for me, just loads for a bit to a fullscreen black screen, and then nothing, no hard drive access nothing, then i have to alt-tab or win key (gnome desktop) and press the stop button in steam to kill it.
Rob-Retro 3 days ago
Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered, does work already but you need proton 5.13 to run it, so good news that it now works with 6.3, So does TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge, but only with proton 4.11, so more good news.

Just a shame that proton 6.3-7, 6.3-8, Proton Experimental, and all Proton-GE i've tested has broken HomeFront 2, all Proton 6.3 up to -6 worked without a problem, now with -7,-8, etc it will crash to desktop on the Prison level every time.

Last edited by Rob-Retro on 26 November 2021 at 2:15 am UTC
obscurenforeign 2 days ago
Just Cause 2: Crashes. The borderless trick mentioned in another comment didn't work for me.
Saints Row: The Third: Runs, but has this weird issue where the game pauses for a second every ~10 seconds. Not very playable as a result. :(
Duke Nukem Forever: Seems to have the SR3 freezing issue but only on the menus. Launched taking up 1/4 of my monitor for some reason. (Switching resolutions fixed this.) Gameplay is... well, it seems to run as intended. I can't call it good since the game itself isn't very good, and Proton isn't going to fix that.
Rob-Retro a day ago
Quoting: Comandante ÑoñardoI just tested Homefront and it works, but it start minimized and if I don't maximize it quickly, it keeps playing the audio, but I can not play.

Works fine on Gnome 41.1, did not have a single problem and have now played from start to finish, its a short'ish game compared to Homefront 2.
Quoting: Rob-Retro

I use Cinnamon. I had to use protontricks and config the game prefix for to use a virtual desktop matching the monitor resolution.

I just tried another CEG game, Sniper Elite V2 and the game laucher load, but the game doesn't.
m2mg2 a day ago
Quoting: obscurenforeignJust tested a few CEG games I have (I was looking forward to Valve figuring out how to support their own DRM )

What video cards are you guys using? Also, I forgot but I think I also did a couple proton tricks for Just Cause 2.
protontricks 8190 d3dx10 d3dcompiler_43 d3dcompiler_47
Rob-Retro a day ago
@m2mg2, Nvidia RTX 2060 with driver 495.44.
lectrode a day ago
Quoting: Rob-Retro@m2mg2, Nvidia RTX 2060 with driver 495.44.

Might be worth trying nvidia 470. I ran into problems running games specifically with proton on 495, but those went away when I downgraded.

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!