For those of you not wanting to use the likes of Discord for voice-chat, there’s also Mumble which is a free, open source, low latency, high quality voice chat application. It’s been around for a long time and it just had a big new stable release, the first of the Mumble 1.4.x series and it’s been over two years since the last. At least they didn’t leave us waiting ten years again like the 1.3 release huh?
So what’s new? A lot! Of course there’s plenty of bug fixes, security updates and the usual assortment of smaller thing but a few bigger features were also added into this release.
- Markdown support in chat
- Native support for PipeWire
- A proper plugin system
- Stereo decoding and playback support
- You can set nicknames for users
- An icon to show restricted channels
- A new “TalkingUI” overlay for “non-gamers”
There’s plenty more, be sure to check out the release announcement.