Today a small bug-fix update went out for Proton Experimental, as Valve continues readying it up ahead of the launch of their handheld Steam Deck. What is Proton? It's a compatibility layer designed to run Windows games from Steam on Linux. See more about it in our full guide.
For the update today 13/01/2022 here what's been adjusted:
- Fix hang on exit in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.
- Fix Doom Eternal's multiplayer.
- Fix Sea of Thieves' voice chat.
- Fix Disgaea PC showing black window after losing focus on Gnome.
- Fix map scrolling getting stuck after Alt+Tab in Age of Empires games.
See the Proton Experimental changelog to see all the current differences to the normal Proton releases.
Need to know how to actually use Proton Experimental? Here's a simple HOWTO (as it's not complicated!). Make sure it's installed by searching for it in your Steam Library, then select it from the Compatibility menu in the Properties section of a game. See our quick video below:
For an explainer in text form:
- Search for Proton Experimental and install if not already.
- Right click any game on Steam and go to Properties.
- Select the Compatibility menu on the right side.
- Ensure the "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" is ticked.
- From the dropdown box that appears select Proton Experimental.