The latest Steam Hardware & Software Survey is out for June 2022, putting the Linux user share at one of its highest ever points and likely thanks to the rise of the Steam Deck and SteamOS. As shown on our dedicated Steam Tracker, it's been trending upwards for quite a while but this latest figure is a pretty good showing.
As of June 2022, Linux is sitting at 1.18% of the Steam user share.
Now, that doesn't sound like a lot on paper, but it puts the monthly active Linux user count at around 1,557,600 at least (based on when Valve last gave the monthly active user count).
Here's the breakdown of the most popular Linux systems:
- "Arch Linux" 64 bit 11.42% -1.43%
- "Manjaro Linux" 64 bit 10.11% -0.98%
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS 64 bit 9.90% +1.86%
- Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS 64 bit 9.73% -2.02%
- "SteamOS Holo" 64 bit 7.58% +2.35%
- Linux Mint 20.3 64 bit 6.45% +0.48%
- Description:Freedesktop.org 21.08.14 (Flatpak runtime) 64 bit 6.05% +6.05%
- Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS 64 bit 4.79% +4.79%
- Other 33.96% -11.11%
So you can pretty plainly see that the Steam Deck with SteamOS is already rising up the ranks, as one of the most popular Linux gaming systems on Steam's survey with it already making up well over 7% of Linux players which is a nice increase from the 5% from May 2022.
See more from me