Another fresh Steam Client Beta for Desktop has been released, and Valve continue fixing up more issues with the new Big Picture Mode to have it make sense on Desktop. Some of the issues are because it was clearly taken directly from Steam Deck, but now they're getting some proper desktop tweaks in there too.
Reminder: to show the new UI, you need to launch Steam with "-gamepadui" as a launch option as shown in my previous video.
Here's the main changes:
- Fixed issue where uninstall dialogs were showing up twice (this may still happen after bringing up the controller configurator or standalone keyboard).
- Fixed issue [where] exiting a game would bring up the new Big Picture Mode
- Fixed virtual keyboard being scaled incorrectly inside its window
- More improvements to reduce login time for users with large libraries
New Big Picture Mode
- Added ability to Exit Big Picture Mode and go back to the regular Steam desktop client. In this situation, clicking the Enter Big Picture Mode button will enter the new Big Picture (only happens if you use -gamepadui)
- Fixed some instances [where] focus was lost
- Updated Steam Controller LB and RB button images
- Force GPU acceleration for the UI
- Fixed recently exported Controller Layout Templates not showing up in the Layout Browser
They still haven't fixed it showing what's behind Big Picture Mode on a KDE Plasma Desktop with NVIDIA though. A bug I find thoroughly odd, since the overlay from the Quick Access Menu works just fine.
Update — an additional Steam Client Beta update went out today (November 3rd) with these changes:
- Fixed issue where launching a game would take longer to start if there was no network connection.
New Big Picture
- Fixed overlay not working properly in non-Steam games
- Fixed scaling issue in the desktop UI when exiting Big Picture Mode
- Fixed issues with some dialogs not showing in the Steam Overlay
- Removed some options in the Quick Access menu that are not currently supported outside of Steam Deck
- Fixed issue where the Friends List was not accessible after exiting Big Picture Mode
- Fixed issue where the re-order controllers dialog stopped working from the Quick Access menu
- Fix issue starting any game with multiple Launch Options
- The controller overlay now respects the "Use Nintendo Button Layout" setting in the New Big Picture