The compatibility layer Wine version 8.17 is officially out now that brings with it some exciting new features, along with some bug fixes so here's what's new.
- Bundled vkd3d upgraded to version 1.9.
- Initial window management in the Wayland driver.
- SoundFont support in DirectMusic.
- Various bug fixes.
The bug fixes include problems solved for The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Cemu, RageMP, Dwarf Fortress (Steam) and other miscellaneous fixes. Nice to see the Wayland work continuing to progress so eventually Wine will be able to run fully native on Wayland directly.
vkd3d version 1.9 was only released on September 21st with these highlights:
- Yet more improvements to the HLSL compiler.
- A new utility to inspect the contents of DXBC blobs.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes.
Not to be confused with VKD3D-Proton, which comes from Valve devs. This is the Wine project's own Direct3D to Vulkan translation library, that will focus on everything whereas Valve has a focus on gaming.