With a detailed hand-crafted world, Shadow of Aya is a pixel-art adventure that looks and sounds pretty epic.
"Master the elements of poison, fire, ice, and meteorite in Shadow of Aya, a top-down action adventure ode to the 8-bit classics. But beware—as your powers grow, so do the forces that conspire against you. The journey downward is choked with shadow, and the creatures who slumber among them."
There's no trailer yet so here's a few shots:
- Discover a Handcrafted World: Every rock is carefully placed, so leave no stone unturned. Shadow of Aya is meticulously designed to evoke the “gotta find every secret” vibes of the old-school titles.
- Nonlinear Progression: An interconnected overworld and underworld mean that as you gain abilities, you also gain choices. Set out in whichever direction you favor, filling every corner of your map.
- Explore the Mysteries: Secret paths, endless staircases, forbidden forests, hidden graveyards—the world bristles with relics, riddles, and rare powers to aid you on your quest.
- Use Elemental Types: Every element has its weakness. Learn how to exploit them to blast, melt, burn, slash, and freeze your way through waves of unwitting enemies.
- Evolve Your Combat Style: The classic two-button A + B control style is easy to learn, challenging to master. Each elemental power gives access to a new pair of moves, unlocking an entirely different style of play.
We spoke with the developer, Incoming Games, who mentioned to GOL that their current plan is for a simultaneous launch across Linux, macOS and Windows for both the upcoming demo and full game. Once we get some more information on a trailer, demo and/or release date we will let you know as we're now following along.
You can follow Shadow of Aya on Steam.