Descenders, the slick downhill freeriding extreme sports game from RageSquid and No More Robots has officially left Early Access with a huge upgrade. Disclosure: Key originally provided by the developer.
Now you can bring a friend or a stranger along for the ride, as Descenders has full multiplayer support baked in for you to laugh at other people face-planting a tree when trying to show off.
- Procedurally generated worlds: Take on different jumps, slopes and hillbombs every time you play
- Freestyle bike controls: Control every subtle movement of your rider, with an in-depth physics system made for slick whips and scrubs
- Rogue-Bike: Earn special mutators each time you play, and work out which abilities work best for your riding style
- Build your Rep: A fully-featured online Rep system lets you show off your worth, and earn new bikes and threads
- Fully licensed soundtrack: We've partnered up with drum & bass label Liquicity to bring you the perfect soundtrack for hitting the mountains
- Become the next Descender: Can you survive the game in a single run, and reach the ranks of the legendary Descenders?
There's really not a lot out there like Descenders to be honest, especially supported on Linux. Not just that, the game is actually very fun and the update to add in multiplayer has expanded the game in many ways. It feels like a complete game now, which is obviously important.
The full release has given the starting hub a makeover too, it's now huge with a lot more to do and other players will be riding around with you which makes it a lot more interesting. Before it was a mostly plain starting area, something just a little more fancy than a main menu. Now it's actually more of a social hub, with plenty more to practice on and the feature now makes more sense and it's actually quite nice to ride around in. Take a look, it's really sweet (click to enlarge):
Performance now seems pretty good overall too, with some settings on Ultra it mostly remains at 60FPS and above and it does feel smooth. So with the Linux version, it's really looking good. Not just performance though, graphically it's actually pretty good looking too.