Football Manager 2018 [Steam] has now officially released and it comes with same-day Linux support for you footy nuts. Really fantastic to see Sports Interactive and SEGA continue to support Linux gaming with such a popular title.
This is now the fifth game in the series to support Linux, which started with the 2014 edition—awesome! The game currently has over 30K people playing, so it's already proving popular. Even if it's not your type of game, you can appreciate how important it is to have titles like this on Linux.
The game has been through quite the overhaul this year, with lots of clever teaser videos being put out before release. Here's what's new in a nutshell:
- All new Dynamics system – A harmonious squad produces better results on the pitch. By building partnerships amongst your players – both on and off the pitch – and maintaining a good dressing room atmosphere you'll get the best performances out of your squad.
- Improved Matchday Experience – A brand new graphics engine produces the best lighting, stadiums and player models in the series' history, alongside a sleeker match interface and modernised presentation that bring your fixtures to life.
- Real World Scouting System – A true-to-life representation of the techniques used by the world's biggest clubs including more detailed data analysis that, combined with a wider range of scouting options, give you a better overview of any potential signing.
- Sports Science – The new Medical Centre gives you a more complete overview of your squad's injury situation, with your medical team providing advice on feedback on individual players' injury risks and how to avoid injuries occurring during training.
- Tactics Overhaul – A redesigned tactics screen puts analysis at its heart, giving you a clear view of whether your tactic is working. The new pre-match briefing allows you to be better prepared for your upcoming fixtures, while new player roles give you more ways to exploit your players' abilities.
- Improved Fantasy Draft – Redesigned with a new interface that is perfect for streaming and with several new setup options that help tailor the Fantasy Draft experience to you, including a bigger squad budget and a Quick Start option.
- Football Intelligence – A realistic transfer market that reflects the inflated transfer fees and contract values, more clauses to help finalise that blockbuster deal and the more intelligent transfer and board AI that take into account more contextual information from the game world.
You can find Football Manager 2018 on Steam for £37.99.