Heroes of Hammerwatch [Official Site] isn't quite Hammerwatch 2, but it this roguelike hack and slash RPG/adventure game should release for Linux.
I know there's a number of Hammerwatch fans in our readership, so hopefully this will be interesting for you!
It was announced last month, which I somehow completely missed. I didn't see any platform release information so I reached out to the developer about a Linux version and they said:
Yes, it's what we're aiming for!— Nimble (@codecatt) October 6, 2017
Great to get confirmation and even better that it should be on Linux.
Okay, but what will it feature?
- Random generated levels - each time you enter a level a new layout with different features will be generated.
- Persistent Heroes - your progress is saved and each time you restart the game or die you can choose to continue with your Hero or create a new one. This time you can customize your heroes better too, with colors on different parts of the body and such, make it more unique to your own likings.
- Upgradable town - the town is the starting point for your Heroes which you will return to between sessions. Construct buildings to allow Heroes to be upgraded further, unlock new Heroes and a lot more things. The town remains upgraded even if you choose to create a new Hero.
- Items - Heroes of Hammerwatch features over 100 different items with various rarity, some with extreme abilities. Items can be bought in town, found in chests or secrets, and can also be dropped as reward from some enemies.
- Enemies - Fight hordes of enemies all with different stats and functions, several big and smaller bosses all with unique looks and behavior.
- Environments - Using some old themes from the first Hammerwatch, Heroes of Hammerwatch also adds new and fresh themes thrown into the mix.
- Co-op - Bring your Hero into someone elses town and help them out, or have up to 3 of your friends join your own town.
Feast your eyes on some screenshots, click to enlarge:
They plan to release it in "Q1 2018" with seemingly no firm date set just yet.
Also, they've said they have a patch for the original Hammerwatch in development which will overhaul some character art, add in a new class and balance changes. They hope to release that patch "at some point".
On top of that, it seems news of Hammerwatch 2 is due soon as well! You can read all about it in this post on Steam.