Paradox Development Studio have now announced that the La Résistance expansion for their "best-selling strategy wargame" Hearts of Iron IV releasing February 25.
This huge expansion has been in the works for a while now, focusing on the "highlights the challenge of governing unruly conquests and the power of well-placed spies". You can see their original announcement trailer from PDXCON last year below:
What's actually new in this expansion? Here's the lowdown:
- New Focus Trees for France: New National Focuses for Free France and the Vichy Regime, as well as an option for conservatives to restore the old French Monarchy.
- More in Depth Spanish Campaign: New National Focuses for Republican and Nationalist Spain, including an expanded Spanish Civil War that can spiral into a wider conflict.
- Portuguese National Focuses: New unique focus tree for Portugal. Restore Portuguese naval power, strengthen the overseas empire or intervene in the Civil War next door.
- Espionage: Use your Intelligence Agency to train spies to specialize in certain types of information warfare and send them on special operations, or develop passive resistance to enemy espionage.
- Support Resistance: Use your agents to assist allied resistance movements, giving them what they need to damage the enemy.
- Collaboration Governments: Use your agents to prepare the ground for collaborators to fill the void once you’ve conquered your target.
- Code Cracking: Decrypt enemy communications to gain short term battlefield advantages.
- Recon units: Scout planes can provide useful information on nearby areas while armored cars help in detecting and suppressing resistance activities.
What's interesting, is that Paradox usually have a big free update to accompany such expansions for their in-house developed games. Information on this wasn't provided but they have said they will continue developer diaries until the DLC release, so it's entirely possible they're just not yet finished with the update to give a clear word on what it will have. Once they do give solid info on the update as well, I will let you know.
Oh, and in case you think they're going to do Hearts of Iron V, they made it clear on Twitter there's plenty more to come for Hearts of Iron IV yet.