Godot Engine [Official Site] 3.0 is going to be a pretty big release for this open source game engine and the first release candidate is now available.
Godot Engine 3.0 will include:
- Lightmapping - a cheap way to do Global Illumination
- Onion Skinning
- Bullet as their new physics backend
- Autotiling for 2D tilemaps
- VR and AR improvements, including support for OpenVR, OpenHMD and ARKit. Not all of which is complete though.
- C# support
- WebGL 2.0 and WebAssembly support
- A new OpenGL ES 3.0 / OpenGL 3.3 renderer
There's a lot more, that's just a few random highlights. They are hoping to have the final 3.0 release out this month. This release is a big thing for Godot, so hopefully it helps build an even better foundation for continued progress towards the best open source game engine.
See their announcement post here about the release candidate.