The Wine [Official Site] team just sent out the Wine 3.0 RC1 announcement to the mailing list, this major new version is ready for testing.
This marks the start of the code freeze period, where no new features go in, so it's mainly bug fixing until the stable 3.0 that's due in January.
Here's what's new:
- Direct3D 11 enabled by default on AMD and Intel GPUs.
- AES encryption support on macOS.
- Implementation of the task scheduler.
- Registry export support in the reg.exe tool.
- Progman DDE support.
- OLE data cache improvements.
- More event support in MSHTML.
- Relay debugging improvements.
- Various bug fixes.
In terms of bug fixes, the team noted that 28 have been closed including: World of Tanks graphical issues, Metal Slug 2 not going past the character selection screen, The Witcher 3 had issues with black and red face textures and missing vegetation, in NieR:Automata the bloom was too bright, Fallout 4 had some graphical issues and there's more, but those are some highlights.
Good to see more Windows only games become better in Wine, since it can be a fantastic tool to help people switch to Linux.
See the full announcement here.