Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
How does one get past The Guardian in Doom 3?
Hamish Aug 31, 2010
How does one get past The Guardian in Doom 3?

This has been something which has been plaguing me for quite some time. I love all of the native id Tech 4 titles, but I have never ever been able to get past The Guardian from Doom 3, which is the beast that guards the Soul Cube in the Hell level. I understand that you are supposed to shoot the seekers and then while the beast is blind shoot him, but my reflexes just do not seem to be up to it. In the end the only way I have gotten past that level is by Nocliping above and cheating for a BFG and doing an aerial attack. Can someone who has done it properly give me any ideas how one is supposed to do it properly?

For the most part I do not tend to enjoy puzzle bosses. Some of the ones in Prey were head scratching but I was at least able to solve them, and the ones in RoE were actually for the most part well carried out, though I did not like the one that relied primarily on the Grabber or the final Betruger fight. That is one thing I can credit Quake 4 on, it was a very solid traditional shooter where you just needed to duck and strafe to defeat bosses. Not that I am complaining about Doom 3 and Prey, I still think Doom 3 is the best id Tech 4 game, but I would like a solution to this puzzle.
alexandrius Aug 31, 2010
Re: How does one get past The Guardian in Doom 3?

Check youtube for walkthroughs.
tweakedenigma Aug 31, 2010

Alexandrius is right, youtube is your friend.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnLsndnryNk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnLsndnryNk[/url]
Hamish Aug 31, 2010

I am afraid I can not view YouTube since my ISP slapped a bandwidth limit on us, there is a reason why I have not bothered to put Flash on my computer. I did see someone defeat it in a video once, but this was a French guy doing a speed run so he did it in about two seconds. So not very useful in learning how to get past it.

Well in that case:

Guardian - Take out the seekers. Once these are out, the Guardian can't spot
you. At least try to avoid the search light. When he seekers are down, shoot
the blue orb. Repeat until he dies. The more he smokes, the more damage he
took.
- Health: 800
Hamish Aug 31, 2010

I do not recall hearing about a Blue orb. Guess I will try looking for that the next time I get the opportunity to play Doom 3 again.

I havn't actually played Doom3, pulled that out of a walk through so I hope its accurate
alexandrius Sep 1, 2010

Quoting: tweakedenigmaI havn't actually played Doom3, pulled that out of a walk through so I hope its accurate

Hehe, play it but prepare vallium, cause game is really scary! It's like half-life 2 in ravenholm :twisted:
tweakedenigma Sep 1, 2010

Quoting: alexandrius
Quoting: tweakedenigmaI havn't actually played Doom3, pulled that out of a walk through so I hope its accurate

Hehe, play it but prepare vallium, cause game is really scary! It's like half-life 2 in ravenholm :twisted:

Thanks for the advise but I don't scare easy. One more game for my Try it list.
Hamish Sep 26, 2010

Thanks for the tip tweakedenigma, I am now well past the Guardian and I am now approaching The Sabboth.

Random Linux Gaming Trvia: :P
As well as playing Seragent Kelly in Doom 3, Neil Ross also had several other roles in other id Software titles, such as being the Axis Commander in the original Enemy Territory, the Strog Nexus in Quake Wars, and one of Nazi Soldier voices in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
Hamish Sep 27, 2010

Just completed the whole game and defeated the Cyberdemon yesterday. Also found the "id" stone and went to the secret room, if anyone is playing that level again and happens on the id Software PDA, read the email from our good friend Timothee Besset, he gives a friendly shout out to all us penguins out there. Now I am also at the last level of Resurrection of Evil, got pretty far in it earlier this spring after finally getting it in February, but did not have the time to finish it at the time. The final Maledict boss looks far meaner than the Saboth or Cyberdemon though.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.