Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Wine, sometimes useful.
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
dubigrasu Jul 10, 2015
I have (by my standards) a huge library of Windows games.
Games that I bought long ago when I still considered gaming on Windows or leftovers from bundles I bought for certain Linux games.

In time some of those got ported to Linux, but most don't and probably never will. I don't usually buy games for Windows but I'm stuck with these and also recently I bought (because I really wanted) the recent Wolfenstein games and some others.
Although I gave up on Wine gaming I thought it was time to try again, see what's the state of it now.

Well, it worked out very well. It is of course Wine, and you have to be prepared to tweak certain things and encounter various bugs and so on, but generally speaking it worked much better than what I was expecting.
It actually turned out that it is uncommon to see a game NOT working. I had surprisingly very few issues while the performance was really good and the Xbox controller was working also very well (force feedback included). Wine really improved over time.

Also the games were easy to integrate in the SteamOS interface and what I considered once lost games out of my reach, are now playable titles from within the comfort of my couch without having to perform cumbersome maneuvers to start them.
The performance is good enough ( usually excellent) even allowing me to record the gameplay at 60 FPS, which really takes up some CPU power.

View video on youtube.com
wojtek88 Jul 10, 2015
Where did "Wine games" option come from? Is it Steam OS feature or did you have to somehow create it manually? Is it possible to achieve the same option in other Linux distributions? I am impressed that Batman Arkham City works so good for you. How did you install it?
dubigrasu Jul 10, 2015
Is a Steam feature for any OS.
Right click on the game > Set categories, add a category and choose a name for it.

Basically I have Steam for Windows installed with PlayOnLinux and from there I normally install whatever game as usual and then tweak it etc.
The only difference is that I don't add PlayOnLinux launchers in Steam interface (as non-steam-games) but use my own made so that I can bypass PlayOnLinux completely.
wojtek88 Jul 10, 2015
Thanks dubigrasu, that's good to know. Could you tell me something more about Batman: Arkham City? How did you install it, does controller support work?
dubigrasu Jul 10, 2015
Well, I have only two Steam wineprefixes one 32 and one 64 bit.
Batman is installed in the 32 one which is used for the majority of the games and over the time it accumulated a number of tweaks and honestly, I don't remember what exactly was needed for this specific title to work.
As you can see I tried a bunch of titles and now is a mess in my head regarding what each game needs to work.

But basically install Steam on PlayOnLinux and then just install the game. Afterwards when (if) bumping into issues use the "debug" option to start the game and eventually look for info on WineHQ, ex: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25302&iTestingId=86661

The best Wine version for this game seems to be 1.7.10-CSMT-a632585 and (unless you have a powerful computer) you need to disable PhysX.
The controller (like may other games through Wine) works with the Xbox 360 Controller emulator: http://www.x360ce.com/default.aspx

I know this is not terribly helping but I might do some guides for some of these games at one point.
You can use though this guide: http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/batman-arkham-asylum-arkham-city-guide.420/page-2#post-8079
which is more or less the same thing I did.
wojtek88 Jul 10, 2015
@dubigrasu It's very helping, at least as a starting point. I will give a try to your approach and if I don't forget I will let you know if it worked for me. For now thank you very much for your post, it was very eye opening for me :)
dubigrasu Jul 10, 2015
OK, good luck.
supermonkey77 Jul 10, 2015
Quoting: dubigrasuIs a Steam feature for any OS.
Right click on the game > Set categories, add a category and choose a name for it.

Basically I have Steam for Windows installed with PlayOnLinux and from there I normally install whatever game as usual and then tweak it etc.
The only difference is that I don't add PlayOnLinux launchers in Steam interface (as non-steam-games) but use my own made so that I can bypass PlayOnLinux completely.

Would you be able to post an example script for the PlayOnLinux bypass game launcher?
This is the kind of Steam / Wine integration I have been searching for for quite a while.

Awwwwwwww go on, go on, go on
dubigrasu Jul 10, 2015
Um...OK, but there's nothing really special with them.

This one is for "Wolfenstein New Order" which is a 64bit title:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=wGUcTjWV

Borderlands which has some issues with steam runtime:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=G9CiS6fa

And "Remember me" which was a bitch regarding input and it needed MouseWarpOverride plus an Xboxdrv (re_me) profile to be playable with a controller:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=PYDrpFdz
dubigrasu Aug 14, 2015
Quoting: HoriI just want to know if the achievements will still work if I use bypassed launchers, and also the playtime counter.
Yes and no :)
In order for this to work I have two Steam clients running at the same time, the main Linux client and a Windows one running in the background.
(that's only for the Windows game's duration).
The problem is that I (user Dubigrasu) can't go online with both clients on the same machine, so for the Windows client I have setup another user.

So the respective user gets all the achievements for those Windows games.
I haven't bother much with finding a better solution (a different IP address for Wine?) for this because I can live with 2 users, but it might be an issue for others.
tuxisagamer Aug 19, 2015
I just log out of Steam 4 Linux when I launch Steam for Windows.

Quoting: dubigrasu
Quoting: HoriI just want to know if the achievements will still work if I use bypassed launchers, and also the playtime counter.
Yes and no :)
In order for this to work I have two Steam clients running at the same time, the main Linux client and a Windows one running in the background.
(that's only for the Windows game's duration).
The problem is that I (user Dubigrasu) can't go online with both clients on the same machine, so for the Windows client I have setup another user.

So the respective user gets all the achievements for those Windows games.
I haven't bother much with finding a better solution (a different IP address for Wine?) for this because I can live with 2 users, but it might be an issue for others.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.