Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Witcher 3 coming to Linux :o ?
Page: «8/11»
  Go to:
cRaZy-bisCuiT Apr 5, 2016
Quoting: tiberio
Quoting: cRaZy-bisCuiTCD project red answered to me, that there's currently no linux version to be announced. What's wrong with them? >.<
Was it in an email? Can you show it to us? Just curious.

Yes I can. And yes, it was an E-Mail:

Quoting: Marcin KulikowskiHello there,

For now we don't have such plans. Should we decide to release The Witcher 3 to other OSes than Windows, we will let everybody know.

Kind regards,
Marcin Kulikowski

Still I don't believe Valve is doing Linux advertisments for no reason. If that would be the case they could promise any EA or Ubisoft Games coming to Linux which won't be the case before $MS dies.

To be honest: ATM in this case just means never - otherwise they'd either done this already or they'd at least announced that. Also there engine has no OpenGL/Vulkan render path. eON was a big fail with The Witcher II so they might not do that again. Even though other games (e.g. Bioshock Infinite) work very well with recent eON versions.
Shmerl Apr 5, 2016
@cRaZy-bisCuiT: He says there they have no plans to release it. He didn't say they are not working on it. They always were saying that they have no defined plans for release. But I agree that the tone of this answer is pretty discouraging.
Shmerl Jun 30, 2016
Recent response from Rafał Jaki:

QuoteMany thanks for your insight – but the question is not about the money but talent. Our team is focused mainly on Cyberpunk 2077 and Gwent and cannot revisit W3 for Linux.
We are still exploring our options for Linux – if we would have something new to announce we will do it via our social channels.

So it got worse. It confirms no one is working on it. Whatever that exploring means, it sounds like nothing will happen any time soon.
Inspector_Gidget Jun 30, 2016
Well, looks like we got Houdini'd again.
wvstolzing Jul 2, 2016
By the time the Linux version of TW3 becomes 'feasible' for CDPR to work on, it'll be possible for the windows version to run under virtualbox.
tuubi Jul 2, 2016
Quoting: wvstolzingBy the time the Linux version of TW3 becomes 'feasible' for CDPR to work on, it'll be possible for the windows version to run under virtualbox.
VirtualBox is even less of a solution than Wine though. Virtual hardware or not, you're just running Windows and need a Windows license for it.
Ehvis Jul 2, 2016
My guess is that CDPR expected VP to be able to do the port relatively easily. For obvious reasons, this turned out not to be the case.
Kimyrielle Jul 2, 2016
So they don't have inhouse manpower available? Ok, happens. Then why not just contract it out to a porting house? I am pretty sure Feral or Aspyr would love to port that title for them.
Shmerl Jul 3, 2016
Quoting: EhvisMy guess is that CDPR expected VP to be able to do the port relatively easily. For obvious reasons, this turned out not to be the case.

Hard to say. They didn't explain what their hiccups were.

Quoting: KimyrielleSo they don't have inhouse manpower available? Ok, happens. Then why not just contract it out to a porting house? I am pretty sure Feral or Aspyr would love to port that title for them.

That's exactly what I asked them. They didn't reply anything.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.