You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support me on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! We will also never show adverts to anyone who supports GamingOnLinux! Alternatively, you can support me on Paypal.
  Go to:
Witcher 3 coming to Linux :o ?
Shmerl commented on 8 May 2017 at 5:42 am UTC

jayceeThey are not breaking any promise. The "Witcher 3 coming to SteamOS" thing was a marketing mistake on Valve's part. That's already been well established.

Well established? I didn't see anyone admitting such mistake, or CDPR refuting that ad. See here also for their explicit statements which basically confirmed it. So since they never refuted or announced that such plans were cancelled, they either still have them, or they broke their promise. I don't see any good resolution of this situation for them, given their complete silence on this matter at present.

About MacOS I can understand, I don't think it's a worthy target for TW3 indeed (no newest OpenGL support, weak hardware where it runs and etc.). But about Linux, I still don't get why they were first interested and then decided not to do it. Your assumption about bad sales of TW2 doesn't really sound convincing. See their shareholders report about it.

I can only assume, their management somehow got into the mentality of legacy publishers, who usually don't grok Linux, and simply stick to mass market approach. As some developers who left CDPR hinted, they aren't "true rebels" anymore (for those unfamiliar, CDPR used to pride themselves as "rebels", who don't do things like legacy publishers).

Mblackwell commented on 8 May 2017 at 9:00 am UTC

Ugh, I hate when people post that it was a "mistake". A "mistake" that happened twice? And was confirmed by CDPR in e-mails. And Valve customer service would also confirm if you managed to contact them at the time?

It was not a mistake, however it's likely either taking longer than expected or was quietly canceled. But the lack of proper good communication sucks, and no one needs to make excuses for large corporations like CD Projekt.

Ehvis commented on 8 May 2017 at 10:33 am UTC

MblackwellUgh, I hate when people post that it was a "mistake". A "mistake" that happened twice?

With two different banners no less. One in the old red style and one in the new white style. Which makes stand by my earlier assessment. They simply expected VP to be able to do the same thing they did with TW2 and be done with it. It just wasn't that easy.

It may actually still happen that way when both the eON tech is mature enough to handle TW3 and the average hardware is fast enough to compensate for the loss in performance that it gives.

Until then, TW3 will just be a nice benchmark to see how Wine DX11 evolves.

Shmerl commented on 8 May 2017 at 4:59 pm UTC

Yeah, two subsequent banners (a year apart) exclude any possibility of it being a mistake or something not sanctioned by CDPR.

Debdude1986 commented on 9 May 2017 at 11:54 pm UTC

ShmerlCan you post their response please? I'll add it to the timeline here.

Sure, here it is:

QuoteHello Eric,

Many thanks for reaching out to us and your kind words!

As for your question — I’m afraid that currently we have no information to share regarding the Linux version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. We will surely update our community should we decide to release it.

All the best,
Jan

JAN ROSNER
JUNIOR BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER

I'm hoping but I'm not holding my breath.

Shmerl commented on 10 May 2017 at 12:18 am UTC

Debdude1986Sure, here it is:
I'm hoping but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks. What date was it on, was it on May 3rd?

Debdude1986 commented on 10 May 2017 at 12:24 am UTC

ShmerlThanks. What date was it on, was it on May 3rd?

May 4th

Shmerl commented on 10 May 2017 at 12:34 am UTC

Debdude1986
ShmerlThanks. What date was it on, was it on May 3rd?

May 4th

I updated the timeline: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/The_Witcher_3_Linux_port

Shmerl commented on 20 September 2017 at 1:17 am UTC

This is very insightful:

It can probably explain highly erratic and failed release of The Witcher 3 for Linux.

slaapliedje commented on 20 September 2017 at 1:51 am UTC

Ha, that sounds SO much like my previous job... except there they didn't have any laid back people or amazing projects....

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Official Livestreams
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel returns
  • Date:
Community Livestreams
  • RPGoodness: "Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC"
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact