Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Doom and Quake finally on GOG, but only for Windows
Hamish Aug 27, 2015
Something which has been bothering me for a quite a long time was that id Software classics such as Doom and Quake were not available for purchase on GOG.com like almost every other classic '90s shooter was. Well, Bethesda has finally done something right with their purchase, and the games are now up for sale and currently have a 33% discount:
https://www.gog.com/promo/bethesda_launch_id_software_bundle_260815

I am not sure what to do with this though. While it is true that I only need the games for their raw data to put in a source port, given how prompt GOG.com has been in putting out Linux DOSBox wrappers for Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior, and Dark Forces, I guess I will have to forgo the launch discount in the hope of picking them up later as an actual Linux sale.

Adding some of the more recent id Software titles, at least up to Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, would also be appreciated.
Avehicle7887 Aug 27, 2015
I wondered the same thing since like 80% of the games are dos-based, the only one that might not have made it is Redguard since they are providing the 3dfx version which requires a special DOSBox build and unless you build one yourself, there isn't a pre-built Linux build of that.

I won't be waiting for an official Linux build to show up to get them, Quake with both of it's expansion packs costs less than twice compared to Steam and I've waited too long to play Battlespire and Redguard.
slaapliedje Aug 30, 2015
So my thoughts about none of the iD games that have linux ports not being commercially available through Steam or GOG; Previous publishers probably had some sort of contract that said X years of having exclusive publishing rights for them.

And since they're no longer around to publish through steam, we all get screwed for easy installs. So ripping out the data and putting in place for whatever source ports is the best way at this point to play.

What'd be nice is a sort of wrapper like GOG usually do for dosbox games, where it uses steamcmd to snag the data files, then packages 'em up in a .deb or rpm or whatever (I know Debian has a package called game-data-packager that will grab the data and package it for you, and then their other packages depend upon it.)
Avehicle7887 Aug 31, 2015
I got the game from GOG yesterday and aside from the lack of Linux support it comes with everything you'd expect - Both expansion packs, music for all 3 games (missing in Steam version) and the price is less than half compared to Steam.

Moving the game to native Linux Darkplaces engine comes with a few twists. Getting the game to run is very easy as all you is move a few ".pak" files in the correct folders, this takes literally 5 minutes to set up. The music is a different story though as on Linux you'd have to install CDEmu and extract the tracks yourself, luckily this process can easily be skipped with this thread here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135
Hamish Oct 8, 2015
They have now added more of the Quake games to GOG as well as two of the Wolfenstein games:
http://www.gog.com/games##devpub=id_software

All have Linux ports/source ports avaliable other than Catacomb, which does actually have its source code released thanks to Flat Rock Software. None of them would count as a Linux sale though.
Avehicle7887 Oct 8, 2015
Bethesda always had a heavy hand when it comes to DRM-Free, you're right Hamish it wouldn't count but I doubt id/Bethesda will ever bother with such games, especially when you consider Fallout 4 is the main focus here.

For my part, I still have to buy some of the games. They may not count as Linux purchases but at least will give Bethesda the clear idea that there's profit in the DRM-Free market.
Hamish Oct 9, 2015
Quoting: Avehicle7887For my part, I still have to buy some of the games. They may not count as Linux purchases but at least will give Bethesda the clear idea that there's profit in the DRM-Free market.

Certainly, but "buyer beware" and all that. I might pick some of the later titles up myself if they are ever on sale just to have digital copies of the game data for use in source ports.

The fact that Bethesda is expecting people to shell out twenty dollars for Quake III Gold in this day and age is beyond ludicrous though, and I am still going to wait on buying some of their older titles in case the team at GOG are able to give us Linux DOSBox wrappers for the Doom games and maybe even the original Quake, as that is done by GOG themselves and not Bethesda assuming they can get ahold of the release rights from them.

They managed it for Blood, which Atari barely even knows it owns, so all hope is not lost there.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.