Very specific game settings and Steam (aka how to run Hyperdimension Neptunia?)
Julius Sep 13, 2015
Ok, this might be a more general question, but I am wondering for a very specific game:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=16644

According to this it should run fine on WINE, but on my setup with POL and Steam it immediately crashes back to the desktop.

From what I have gathered it has some issues with a specific video codec and windows media player and so it crashes when trying to play the intro movie.
The workaround seems to include a very specific set of WMP etc that would require a seperate virtual drive on POL. Obviously for a non-steam game that would be easy to set up, but duplicating all the steam stuff just for one game is something I would like to avoid.

But I also don't understand how I could do this "winetricks --no-isolate steam" with POL.

Are there maybe some launch options inside POL or Steam that would make is disregard a specific program installed inside the virtual drive?

Or did anyone have luck with this specific game series on WINE and can share how it could be done?
Julius Sep 13, 2015
Hmm, when I try to run a shell from the misc. tab I only get this:

"Ce script doit être executé dans PlayOnLinux."

No idea what it means as I don't have a french system nor speak french :(

When I press any button it just closes the shell again.

running "playonlinux-shell" works, but how to you switch to a specific virtual drive then?
coryrj19951 Sep 13, 2015
"Ce script doit être executé dans PlayOnLinux." "This script must be executed in PlayOnLinux "
(Google translate :P )

Have you tried other random PoL prefix? I have at least 5 installed with different wine versions and prefixes to try games/programs. Some games are very picky with the wine version your running.
Julius Sep 14, 2015
I only run Steam via POL and different wine versions seem to make no difference.

It really seems like if I could run the above winetricks command it might work, but no luck with the shell at all :(
Julius Sep 16, 2015
Ok after updating PoL the shell is working, but the above winetricks command seems to not do anything if steam is already installed :(
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.