You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Whats your favourite free game?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Rustybolts Aug 31, 2010
Whats your favourite free game?

I have 2 games that are always in my staple diet of Linux gaming namely:-
Battle for Wesnoth
Oolite (Vanilla Oolite is great but be sure to check out the addons)
I would feel no qualms in paying money for Wesnoth if it had been a commercial Indie.
Liam Dawe Aug 31, 2010
Re: Whats your favourite free game?

I honestly tried Battle for Wesnoth and was enjoying it until the game ended as i ran out of turns...spoilt the game rotten for me so i never touched it again.

Favourite free game right now would have to be Spring RTS with Balanced Annihilation running on it -> I'm a sucker for RTS games....even if i do suck largely at them!
Hamish Aug 31, 2010

Again I would have a hard time calling out an all time favourite, but I have spent a shockingly long amount of time with XMoto, even though I would be lucky to get past even one third of the maps. There is something alluringly disturbing about the way you can impale your digitized proxy and he will just twitch and not bleed, or the way you can break your skull in without actually depicting it being broken. And people complained about Doom being violent. I can not help but find myself laughing when people try to categorize it as a "peaceful game".

Then of course there is also the venerable XEvil, a game that was actually trying to be disturbing.
tweakedenigma Sep 1, 2010

Urban Terror would be my Pick. Don't know why I enjoy it so much but I always seem to come back to it.

Dofus also has its moments for me even if I don't play it much.

Wesnoth is great but I agree with liamdawe I don't Like the turn limits.
Hamish Sep 1, 2010

Quoting: tweakedenigmaUrban Terror would be my Pick. Don't know why I enjoy it so much but I always seem to come back to it.

Not to call you out Sir, but I think what Liam was referring to was actually free software games, not freeware ones like Dofus. Actually, one could also ague that Urban Terror is also in the same category, as it does not release its media and has been somewhat combative with the free software community.

[url="http://ioquake3.org/2007/12/23/urban-terror-41/"]http://ioquake3.org/2007/12/23/urban-terror-41/[/url]
alexandrius Sep 1, 2010

I answered this at favourite game thread...
Hive RIse is my favorite free game, also maybe scorched 3D
Liam Dawe Sep 1, 2010

Quoting: Hamish
Quoting: tweakedenigmaUrban Terror would be my Pick. Don't know why I enjoy it so much but I always seem to come back to it.

Not to call you out Sir, but I think what Liam was referring to was actually free software games, not freeware ones like Dofus. Actually, one could also ague that Urban Terror is also in the same category, as it does not release its media and has been somewhat combative with the free software community.

[url="http://ioquake3.org/2007/12/23/urban-terror-41/"]http://ioquake3.org/2007/12/23/urban-terror-41/[/url]

Actually it doesn't matter to me - freeware is still free ;).

I'm pretty chilled out about stuff not being open source.
Pyux Sep 8, 2010

hmms.. Free open source and to play second life wins for mes. Just free game to play savage 1 and 2 have big paws up from me :)
Rustybolts Sep 8, 2010

Quoting: liamdaweI honestly tried Battle for Wesnoth and was enjoying it until the game ended as i ran out of turns...spoilt the game rotten for me so i never touched it again.

Favourite free game right now would have to be Spring RTS with Balanced Annihilation running on it -> I'm a sucker for RTS games....even if i do suck largely at them!

Yeah I hated the limit on the amount of turns to begin with but once you have got used to playing it, you start to make more efficient use of your turns. When I play now thinking about how many turns I have left doesn't even come to mind, I find the turn limits ample.
For some reason i haven't tried Spring but i did enjoy playing Warzone 2100 for a bit.
KIAaze Sep 8, 2010

I can't really choose a favourite. There aren't many games I finished completely anyway. So I'll just list the first ones coming to my mind that I enjoyed. :)

Favourite FOSS games: Metal Blob Solid / "Beneath a steel sky" and "Flight of the amazon queen" (FOSS? It's in the Ubuntu repositories.) / Supertux / Wesnoth / Globulation 2

(Yay, registering and posting to take part in the contest! :P)
Palkkis Oct 25, 2010

League of Legends, very good dota copy game! Try it =)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.