Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
TheBoss' sometimes disrespectful attitude towards some developers?
psy-q Dec 9, 2015
I perceive a sort of disrespectful tone or attitude towards some developers sometimes in TheBoss' articles, specifically when talking about things like uncertain ports or when technical issues pop up in GNU/Linux titles. The latest example is Techland. They appear to have released a glitchy update, but they also fixed it quickly after being notified. Yes, they may not have tough quality control in place for GNU/Linux yet, but on the other hand that takes funding, and I'm willing to bet we don't make up a high enough percentage of their sales to warrant that.

Shouldn't we have the same attitude towards games that we have towards free or open source software? There, issues may also happen, and when notified of a problem it's usually quickly fixed, no harm done. The only difference with these closed-source games is that we can't try to fix them ourselves.

Would GoL write in the same tone about a FOSS developer? That it's a hilarious sign of lack of quality that FreeCiv released an update where city names don't print anymore, for example, only to fix it eight hours later?

I think a bit more civility and a more forgiving and positive attitude towards those developers that support us would go a long way. It's an experiment for them as well, both sides need to learn.

I do appreciate the enormous amount of work TheBoss put into all this, it's not that, those are two different things.
tuubi Dec 10, 2015
I for one value honest opinion and straight talk above overt political correctness. As long as Liam's writing about developers' sloppy work, and not just being snarky or preferential, it's all good. I'd go as far as call this rather good journalism compared to all the shameless marketing your average gaming site puts out.

And of course it is entirely justified to treat open source community projects and commercial stuff differently. As paying customers we are entitled to exactly the same quality of support as any other platform. Otherwise we should be paying less for the games.
psy-q Dec 10, 2015
Snarky is a good word, that's pretty fitting to what I thought about the Techland headline. "Oh look, this developer is so unable to program for Linux, it's hilarious". Like in some bad stand-up comedy. But I wouldn't want to move towards political correctness either. I guess the USA was much more haunted by that particular ghost than we were over here in Europe, but I still feel it wouldn't solve anything.

I like the idea that we could pay less for less quality control. There would be a direct connection between the services rendered and the price paid -- you hire more QA for Windows, so they pay more for the effects of that service. If we had that, would new Steam OS users or Steam Machine owners understand it, though?

Anyhow, couldn't a headline be written in a style that drives the point home unabashedly without belittling the developer? "Bugs in latest Dying Light update had hilarious consequences. Now fixed." to me sounds better than what I read (hyperbolically) as "lol techland u gotz no qa u sux why u still code 4 lnx if u dont hav skillz?".

Or maybe in different wording, attacking a flaw in your peer (you don't have Linux QA, you're too stupid to do Linux QA, you chose not to invest enough in Linux QA) puts you at a more adversarial stance than laughing at the consequences (there is a funny issue in the game that affects the Linux build but not any of the others).

Could be that I'm too sensitive and the gaming market likes it just fine rough.
tuubi Dec 10, 2015
It seems like people expect slightly different things from this site. For me GOL is something between a (non-commercial) blog, a community forum and a gaming news outlet. For you it might be closer to the latter, and less of the former two.

Maybe Liam should put more thought into his wording choices, but that's only if he wants his site to come off more as a neutral and impersonal news outlet. Not a bad thing, but possibly not what he wants. Although being a Brit he might be used to a rather edgy and controversy-seeking style of journalism. As a European you should know that we've got as many different varieties of media culture as we've got actual cultures.

Quoting: psy-qCould be that I'm too sensitive and the gaming market likes it just fine rough.
The thing is, GOL does not seem to be doing what it does to please the gaming market or any such nebulous entity. To me it feels like the site exists solely us Linux gamers. You know, not as a liaison between the businesses and the consumer, but as a service by consumers for consumers. That's a difference that I for one appreciate. One of the reasons why this is also the only gaming related site I actually regularly follow and the only gaming community I enjoy being a part of.
Storminator16 Dec 10, 2015
1. GoL's owner and GoL's readers are human.
2. The tone should be different for FOSS developers.
3. Linux folks should stop "settling". "Wow, there are a lot of bugs to be worked out in future versions but we should just be happy they made/ported their game to Linux!" I get the opposite tone from GoL's owner and I think that's the way to go.
HadBabits Dec 10, 2015
Honestly, my gut opinion is that Liam us usually pretty soft on Techland, but then I'm quite sour as one of the day one purchasers of Dying Light, which still suffers from poor performance, graphical bugs, and missing features nearly a year after release.

I would've honestly preferred them not to release at all in such a poor state. It creates a bad impression for new Linux gamers, it shows their apathy for our platform, and most importantly it's just a bad experience for a gamer, which is the opposite of why we'd put $60 down in the first place.

And that last sentence is why FOSS devs are treated with more care, most of the time they don't ask for anything whatsoever, they produce things for free so there's no way for them to screw the consumer.

It's always good to be civil and courteous, albeit honest, to those who who do right by us. However, to grant the same treatment to anyone encourages the idea that we're happy to spend money on a dev's pet project regardless of quality because we're just so lucky they gave us the time of day in the first place.
Liam Dawe Dec 10, 2015
Lolwhut.

Let me make this clear, if you sell a game for quite a high price and state that game is supported on Linux, yet it's clear little to zero testing is involved: I will blast it.

FOSS projects are completely different: we aren't paying for them.

I'm not going to stop giving crap to developers who take Linux gamers money for a ride and run away into the sunset on their unicorns.

As for the Dying Light article, I was poking fun at them, I think you need to lighten up about this.

I don't want GOL to be a completely neutral website, that's no fun for the majority of our readers, and it would be boring as fuck for me. I have an opinion, so I state it, especially if it's about something I paid a premium for. Remember, I am speaking as a customer a lot of the time.
psy-q Dec 12, 2015
Yeah, I wasn't advocating for political correctness either. But OK, I did indeed slot the site into "Linux gaming news site" and not "mostly a blog with a forum", that does make a big difference. If companies know to think "that guy said this about us, also some people in the forums" it's not that same as "the Linux gaming community more or less officially thinks this of us".
Liam Dawe Dec 12, 2015
Just don't take what I write too seriously. I write as I think and speak, it's how I do things. GOL is essentially a blog with a forum, rather than a serious news website.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.