Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Global Equalizer
davesunday Jan 28, 2016
Anybody here have a good suggestion for a global equalizer? The only one that I can find is the pulseaudo equalizer. There seems to be something wrong with it though as it acts as though the preamp is maxed out (which in screenshots of older versions I have seen the preamp setting was still available, in the current one the preamp slider is not there) and the audio is severely distorted. I am currently using a Asus Xonar STX Essence but have also used a Xonar DGX with similar results. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
davesunday Jan 29, 2016
I guess nobody here uses an equalizer at all?
Xpander Jan 30, 2016
yeah , sorry no idea.. pulseaudio eq is the only one i tried in the past but i dont really have use for it
tuubi Jan 30, 2016
You don't really need a (software) equalizer unless you have to compensate for sucky hardware or some sort of hearing problems I guess. What I'd like to say is that if you've got a decent set of speakers or headphones, just go ahead and disable any equalizers, "bass boosts" and stuff like that to get something resembling the intended experience, but in the end it is entirely a matter of taste.
Xpander Jan 30, 2016
... and those audiocards that are inside your computer will still have interference from all the components inside, even if the card is so called "pro" or whateve, you cant get completely rid of it inside the case.

and yeah i agree, using software equalizers is kind a killing the sound
kokoko3k Feb 1, 2016
Check this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#System-wide_equalizer

but i don't know how it or even if it works with pulseaudio.
nox Feb 1, 2016
This works very well for me:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#Equalizer

Just remember that once you get the equalizer loaded you'll have to select an output named something with 'equalizer' in it - you'll see what I mean.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.