Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Pixel Piracy fails to launch
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
ken12 Feb 11, 2016
Hi,

I have raised an issue on quadrodelta.com with absolutely no response apart from people saying the have the same issue. The following is from the original post:

QuoteHi,

I have just installed this game i bought it a while ago and not had a chance to play it yet.

I launched from steam and the options window that open was missing items such as check box for windowed mode and scroll bar, I launched anyway and the logo is displayed then the game quits.

I launched from terminal, this time everything in the options window looked fine, however the game quits by its self after the logo with the only terminal output after the game launching was "Aborted".

I did an integrity check which was fine and even tried deleting then reinstalling with no effect.

I have a HD7950 graphics card, and am running Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Link

I thought I would ask here if anyone has had a similar issue and has been able to fix it or has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
RTheren Feb 12, 2016
It's working fine on Ubuntu 14.04.

Let's try to find out missing libraries:

ldd .steam/steam/steamapps/common/Pixel\ Piracy/linux.x86 | grep not

This command will tell you about missing libraries (if any)

WARNING: Your path to steam games may vary.

P.S. What drivers are you running? Open Source / Propietary?
ken12 Feb 12, 2016
Hi RTheren,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried running:
ldd .media/user/500GB_SSD/Steam/steamapps/common/Pixel\ Piracy/linux.x86 | grep not
with the result path not found and assumed it should be:
ldd /media/user/500GB_SSD/Steam/steamapps/common/Pixel\ Piracy/linux.x86 | grep not
with nothing returned.
I also tried directly from within the folder with nothing returned, so I guess no libraries are missing?

I am running proprietary drivers CCC states version is 15.20... which I believe is 15.7 (not latest version I know but I have had no issues in other games so never updated)

Thanks again.
RTheren Feb 13, 2016
OK. Run the game from terminal and post here output from it.
When it crashes, type dmesg to see if something else fails
ken12 Feb 13, 2016
Running the game, Terminal output:
Quoteuser@Horse /media/user/500GB_SSD/Steam/steamapps/common/Pixel Piracy $ ./linux.x86
Set current directory to /media/user/500GB_SSD/Steam/steamapps/common/Pixel Piracy
Found path: /media/user/500GB_SSD/Steam/steamapps/common/Pixel Piracy/linux.x86
Mono path[0] = '/media/user/500GB_SSD/Steam/steamapps/common/Pixel Piracy/linux_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/media/user/500GB_SSD/Steam/steamapps/common/Pixel Piracy/linux_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/media/user/500GB_SSD/Steam/steamapps/common/Pixel Piracy/linux_Data/Mono/etc'
Aborted
user@Horse /media/user/500GB_SSD/Steam/steamapps/common/Pixel Piracy $

Most of this is displayed before accepting the configuration, the only part that is displayed after launching the game is the part that just says "Aborted".

I'm not sure what I should see from typing dmesg but there is a lot printed out to the terminal, so much I can no longer see the previous commands. Is there anything in particular to look for? As I think there is too much to paste here.

Thanks again.
RTheren Feb 13, 2016
Try to look for something like segmentation fault.

Also try to move the existing game to other directory and download it again. If it won't work even after this, it's probably drivers
ken12 Feb 15, 2016
Hi,

I reinstalled the game to the default steam location in the home folder, with the same result.

dmesg shows that ptrace of pid... was attempted by gdb when the output has reported as aborted.
dmesg also has entries that appear to be ethernet related and are of the form [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT MAC=... but I am not sure this is related to the game.

However after the numerous times of trying to run the program the message is not always "aborted". I have also had Segmentation Fault and corrupt double linked list, both result with nothing added to dmesg.

One run resulted with this appearing in terminal:
Quote*** Error in `./linux.x86': corrupted double-linked list: 0xe1500568 ***
Aborted

with dmesg having the following added:

Quote[ 303.588145] EXT4-fs (sda1): error count: 21
[ 303.588168] EXT4-fs (sda1): initial error at 1448755648: __ext4_read_dirblock:1922: inode 798443
[ 303.588172] EXT4-fs (sda1): last error at 1455567255: __ext4_read_dirblock:1922: inode 798443

However after receiving this error message a second time there was nothing added to dmesg other than UFW BLOCK.

I am not sure it's driver related as someone on the thread I raised on quadrodelta states they have the same issue but they are using the Nouveau driver.

Thanks.
RTheren Feb 16, 2016
You can safely ignore the eth0 related stuff.

What catched my eye was
Quote[ 303.588145] EXT4-fs (sda1): error count: 21
[ 303.588168] EXT4-fs (sda1): initial error at 1448755648: __ext4_read_dirblock:1922: inode 798443
[ 303.588172] EXT4-fs (sda1): last error at 1455567255: __ext4_read_dirblock:1922: inode 798443

It may be caused by corrupted sectors on disk.
Try to run fsck from Live-CD/USB, or check with other programs if there are corrupted sectors on HDD

Otherwise it may be driver related, since it's Unity game.
Give FSCK a go and let us know the result
ken12 Feb 22, 2016
I ran fsck and fixed the issues that came up, a second run resulted in no issues found. Once I rebooted back into the installed OS I ran the game again with absolutely no change, the same sort of error messages came up varying with every run.
RTheren Feb 22, 2016
Just a curiosity.

Have you tried the open-source AMD drivers?
ken12 Feb 22, 2016
Not with this game, yet. I had tried out the opensource drivers a while ago, maybe a year ago and had graphical issues with other games so I went back to proprietary ones. I will give them a go when I have time and report back.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.