Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Ubuntu 16.04 upgrade ckusterf***
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
lucifertdark Apr 21, 2016
It must be me, every time I upgrade Ubuntu to a new version something goes wrong, this time it's a doozy, halfway through the upgrade it crashed & I'm now stuck with Ubuntu with no window manager & no way to boot into Windows either, it boots as 16.04 but runs as 14.04, luckily I can still run things from the terminal & can fix the broken upgrade.

Wish me luck hahahaha
RTheren Apr 21, 2016
rtheren@Ubuntu-Aspire:~$ wish-luck --to lucifertdark
Luck found, sending...
Luck given to lucifertdark!
lucifertdark Apr 21, 2016
Thanks RTheren looks like your luck wishing worked, just got to finish a few small updates & reinstall the video drivers & Ubuntu will be back to full strength again. :D

My son, who built this machine for me, says he's going to ban me from updating anything in future cause it always goes wrong when I do it.
RTheren Apr 21, 2016
Glad to hear :)

I should put it on github, since it's working well :D
StianTheDark Apr 21, 2016
#WhyIDontUseUbuntu

Ubuntu is more unstable than Arch. Seriously, I've had more issues with Ubuntu than Arch. Not to mention, Ubuntu is a commercial distribution. I highly recommend you to move away from Ubuntu.
Segata Sanshiro Apr 21, 2016
This probably isn't particularly helpful at this point, but it can serve as future advice (or maybe now if you plan to do a clean install anyway).

I would really do a fresh install and create a seperate home partition. That way you can do a clean install from a livecd without problems whenever you feel like it and you won't lose all your installed games, etc. It's what I've been doing for the last couple of years now because I got tired of experiencing the same issue as you and wanted to leave the door open for switching between different *buntu flavours.
Segata Sanshiro Apr 21, 2016
Quoting: StianTheDark#WhyIDontUseUbuntu

Ubuntu is more unstable than Arch. Seriously, I've had more issues with Ubuntu than Arch. Not to mention, Ubuntu is a commercial distribution. I highly recommend you to move away from Ubuntu.

I'm thinking of doing this eventually as well. Just way too lazy at the moment.
khalismur Apr 21, 2016
Go with a rolling release & forget about those problems.
Debian Testing, Antergos or Manjaro are awesome distros for people past the Ubuntu phase :-)
Liam Dawe Apr 21, 2016
There is nothing wrong with Ubuntu being a commercially run distribution. It's like hating GOL because I am trying to make a living doing this :p

Ubuntu does have frustrating issues at times though, and I am going to personally look at a rolling distribution again sometimes soon.
StianTheDark Apr 21, 2016
Quoting: liamdaweThere is nothing wrong with Ubuntu being a commercially run distribution. It's like hating GOL because I am trying to make a living doing this :p

Ubuntu does have frustrating issues at times though, and I am going to personally look at a rolling distribution again sometimes soon.

You know whats wrong with a commercially run distribution? They prioritize themselves over the community. As example, Mir. What they're trying to do is obvious! They want to force developers to use Mir instead of Wayland because Ubuntu has a bigger userbase. Then it will just grow because it's a requirement to use Ubuntu to use a lot of software. Also, Mir is proprietary. That is a massive issue.
darkone778 Apr 21, 2016
Quoting: StianTheDark
Quoting: liamdaweThere is nothing wrong with Ubuntu being a commercially run distribution. It's like hating GOL because I am trying to make a living doing this :p

You know whats wrong with a commercially run distribution? They prioritize themselves over the community. As example, Mir. What they're trying to do is obvious! They want to force developers to use Mir instead of Wayland because Ubuntu has a bigger userbase. Then it will just grow because it's a requirement to use Ubuntu to use a lot of software. Also, Mir is proprietary. That is a massive issue.

Seems to me the code is quite open https://code.launchpad.net/mir Also if you think someone like Red Hat doesn't have their bottom line in mind when they support projects you would be very wrong, Also if you use Samba you might want to stop using it cause you know there is code from Microsoft in there as well. Why oh because it helps their bottom line when Samba plays nice with Microsoft's stuff. Any company that contributes to open source 99.9% of the time does so for their bottom line and nothing more. Do not think that they do it out of the goodness of their hearts in spite of the "this is for the community" pr spin they may try and put on it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.