You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Screen tearing
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Apr 26, 2016
I seem to get rather a lot of screen tearing on Ubuntu/Unity with my Nvidia card.

I always use ForceFullCompositionPipeline which seems to bugger all.

What are you guys using to reduce it?

Edit: For those wondering, I solved it: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/i-have-finally-found-a-way-to-sort-out-screen-tearing-on-nvidia-with-linux.7213
tuubi Apr 26, 2016
Is it just the desktop or full screen games as well? Does enabling triple buffering in nvidia-settings help?
Liam Dawe Apr 26, 2016
Where do you enable that exactly?
kDomb Apr 26, 2016
there is no triple buffering option in nvidia-settings!?
just generate a xorg.conf file:
nvidia-xconfig
and in the Screen section add:
Option "TripleBuffer" "1"

example:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
Option "TripleBuffer" "1"
EndSection

you can also remove ForceFullCompositionPipeline
works for me with kwin
tuubi Apr 26, 2016
My bad. I didn't remember you had to set it in xorg.conf. Sorry, should have checked. It's been a while since I needed that particular option.
Liam Dawe Apr 26, 2016
Further info:

It seems the tearing only happens on my 4K screen and not my 1080p screen.
Shmerl Apr 26, 2016
For Unity games I simply use KWin compositing, since I'm using KDE in general (not switching it off for fullscreen windows). It works very well to prevent tearing.

Triple buffering is enabled for me, but it doesn't help on its own.
Liam Dawe Apr 26, 2016
Seems it's fine in Cinnamon, so I will stick with it.
Xpander Apr 26, 2016
triplebuffer option is bad when you want to record gameplay's. even with nvenc it kills perf on some games and quite a lot. + causes all sorts of weird framerate issues. Not Every game is affected by it though.

ForceCompositionPipline fixes everything for me.. but i have no idea about 4K resolution.. might be broken there?
BlackBloodRum Apr 26, 2016
I use Compton compositor. Tbh, I've not had screen tearing in a long time on XFCE with Compton, even in games I just disable vsync in games as the compositor handles it just fine.

My massive compton start command:
compton --vsync opengl-swc --paint-on-overlay --backend glx --glx-no-stencil -c
Xpander Apr 27, 2016
compton is all good but makes the windows move slower and takes a bit perf hit.
also recording will be pain with compton. there will be screen tearing on the video
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.