Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
SLI Existing card or buy newer model
DVS999 May 31, 2016
Seems there's very little I can find on this topic. My card's a bit long in the tooth but it has served me well. I'm running a lowly GTX 670 and would like advice on the best upgrade route.

The cheapest option is to add a second 670 and SLI but I'm not sure what performance benefits I'll see under Linux. Alternatively I could sell the 670, they seem to be fetching around £75, and put the money I'd spend buying a second 670, £75, and have £150 to spend on a newer card.

I have shed loads of CPU performance/cores available, Dual Hex Core Xeons, which may lend itself better to one solution rather than the other.

Anyone any advice?
jonko May 31, 2016
My advice at this moment is only to wait on GF 1070
wojtek88 Jun 1, 2016
Quoting: jonkoMy advice at this moment is only to wait on GF 1070
I am terrified that everyone believed that Nvidia gtx1070 will be the best option for everyone. You made your answer without knowing his CPU, motherboard, RAM. And you don't know what price will this GPU have in his country.

He has 150£ assuming he will sell his GPU, without that he has 75£.
According to what I found In UK it will cost 400£.
@DVS999 Could you provide your rig details?
Samsai Jun 1, 2016
As far as I know SLI on Linux has only marginal benefits and is definitely not worth it. It's better to go with a new card.
DVS999 Jun 1, 2016
Jonko:-

GF 1070 isn't an option. IMO it's ridiculously expensive and way over specc'd for Linux gaming. The only benefit I see of the GF 1070 is that the GF 970 will hopefully become more affordable :)

wojtek88:-

System is a Dell Precision T7500, so PCIe2, with dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670 and 24Gb of RAM.

Samsai:-

Thanks. I can find very little info re. SLI on Linux hence my asking in here.
jonko Jun 1, 2016
DVS999:
GF 1060 should be probably on same performance level as 970, or over it, for lower price

wojtek88:
regarding to HW details, if his PC can handle SLI, it can handle 1070,

all:
I thought SLI linux problems are well known to everyone ...
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/845462/current-state-of-sli-support-is-broken-across-all-linux-distros/
DVS999 Jun 1, 2016
Many thanks Jonko. That answered my question. Now that I know SLI under Linux simply isn't an option, anyone want to buy a GF 670 ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.