Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Steam controller
Guppy Jun 28, 2016
So I just bought Armello, but the controller doesn't work ( seems "full controller support" does not extend to steams controller :( )

People keep claiming that I should just switch the layout to the basic controller (instead of the one with camera controls it defaults to) and it will work only in every case I've tried this it does not work.

With so many games either never working or breaking to a patch I'm starting to worry it might be a configuration issue - but there shouldn't need to be any configuration done on the system when using the controller, or?

I'm using the controller though the steam link, but even connecting it directly to the computer with a μUSB cable the issue remains, any hints?

ps. the controller isn't completely borked - there are games that work just fine like action henk, super tux cart, dying ligth, tiny keep. it seems it's only when it's supposed to be a 'generic' game pad that the problem arises.
Soul_Est Jun 28, 2016
Full Controller Support is a thing. The thing is that while the game has full support for controllers, how you get yours to be supported by the game is up to you. You can figure the Steam Controller for the game in Big Picture Mode.
Guppy Jun 29, 2016
Quoting: Soul_EstFull Controller Support is a thing. The thing is that while the game has full support for controllers, how you get yours to be supported by the game is up to you. You can figure the Steam Controller for the game in Big Picture Mode.

I do not understand what your saying.

"Full Controller Support" does NOT include the steam controller ( news to me which is why I figured I'd mention it ), see here

I *am* using Big Picture mode - it's the only way you can stream to the steam link.

As for configuring the steam controller - that's what I'm saying even that doesn't work for me
slaapliedje Jun 30, 2016
Check 'ls -l /dev/uinput' mine keeps randomly changing from 666 permissions.

Also, I've found some games just won't freaking work under Linux! Maybe if I tried my xbox 360 controller, but I want to use my Steam Controller!

Hero Siege absolutely won't work, something about whatever game engine they're using not supporting controller input in Linux. Works fine in Windows, which pisses me off. I haven't been able to find out what third party engine they're using, but they claim they can't fix it because of that.

I haven't had much luck with 12 is Better Than 6 either, granted I can't even get the keyboard/mouse to work in this game.

On the other hand, my brother and I played Divinity: Original Sin enhanced edition over the steam link, me with the steam controller, him with a 360 controller (wired) and it worked fine, even though I was also moving a ton of video files over (trying to rebuild my media storage.) So there is that.

You're right though, FULL controller support should work with pretty much anything that xinput or whatever supports.
MajGuano Jun 30, 2016
Quoting: Guppy
Quoting: Soul_EstFull Controller Support is a thing. The thing is that while the game has full support for controllers, how you get yours to be supported by the game is up to you. You can figure the Steam Controller for the game in Big Picture Mode.

I do not understand what your saying.

"Full Controller Support" does NOT include the steam controller ( news to me which is why I figured I'd mention it ), see here

I *am* using Big Picture mode - it's the only way you can stream to the steam link.

As for configuring the steam controller - that's what I'm saying even that doesn't work for me

Gamepad/SteamController over SteamLink or In-Home-Streaming from a linux host has been really spotty for me as well. I don't think it's your config. I think it's probably just a borked port. For streaming-related controller issues, I haven't yet bothered to gather enough info to make a useful bug report. If you've got the time, a report here might help: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues
Guppy Jul 9, 2016
Quoting: HoriMaybe the configuration is not applied. Check if the Steam Overlay is working for you in Armello. If it does not, it will use the default configuration.
I had the same problem with Don't Starve and it was because the Steam Overlay wasn't working.
If by steam overlay you mean big screen (what happens when you press the steam logo) then that is working, it's the only way to switch configurations as far as I know.

But thanks for the suggestion :-)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.