Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Surprised by Divinity: Original Sin
PublicNuisance Jul 13, 2016
On a Radeon R9 390 Pillers of Eternity maxed out ran in the 30's for FPS, Wasteland 2 at around 20 maxed out. Even with a GTX 960 POE still only ran in the 50's. Keep in mind on Windows with my HD7950 I was getting 80-110 FPS on POE. So when I decided to boot up Divinity: Original Sin in Linux on my HD7950 I expected the worst since it is a similar style game to POE and Wasteland 2. I was shocked though, on my HD7950 it ran maxed out with FPS in the 70-86 range so far. I am still early in it but that is just awesome. Makes me wonder if Unity was the issue on the other 2 or if it was the developers not being as good with Linux.
Avehicle7887 Jul 13, 2016
The first time D-OS released on Linux surprised me too, graphically it is much more intense than PoE and WL2 yet runs better than both. The only other game I can think of that runs at such great performance is Shadow Warrior. Now if we could get such great ports more frequently :D
tuubi Jul 13, 2016
I guess the difference comes down to Larian's in-house engine powering Divinity: Original Sin. The other two run on rather dated versions of Unity.
Adinimys Jul 14, 2016
Well, considering the huge delay for the Linux version, it's good to see that at least it's well optimized...
I bought the game during the last steam sale and so far it has really been great :D
Al3s Jul 14, 2016
Quoting: PublicNuisanceOn a Radeon R9 390 Pillers of Eternity maxed out ran in the 30's for FPS, Wasteland 2 at around 20 maxed out. Even with a GTX 960 POE still only ran in the 50's. Keep in mind on Windows with my HD7950 I was getting 80-110 FPS on POE. So when I decided to boot up Divinity: Original Sin in Linux on my HD7950 I expected the worst since it is a similar style game to POE and Wasteland 2. I was shocked though, on my HD7950 it ran maxed out with FPS in the 70-86 range so far. I am still early in it but that is just awesome. Makes me wonder if Unity was the issue on the other 2 or if it was the developers not being as good with Linux.

I guess you are playing it with the propietary driver, right? I bought the game months ago and still haven't played it. I had hope it would work with mesa 12 but it seems the game is bugged and doesn't work with it either.
damarrin Jul 14, 2016
Yeah, Divinity runs great. The other games you mention run OK, but are pretty rough in comparison. Larian left us hanging for months (years?) but when they delivered, they did deliver.
PublicNuisance Jul 18, 2016
Quoting: Al3s
Quoting: PublicNuisanceOn a Radeon R9 390 Pillers of Eternity maxed out ran in the 30's for FPS, Wasteland 2 at around 20 maxed out. Even with a GTX 960 POE still only ran in the 50's. Keep in mind on Windows with my HD7950 I was getting 80-110 FPS on POE. So when I decided to boot up Divinity: Original Sin in Linux on my HD7950 I expected the worst since it is a similar style game to POE and Wasteland 2. I was shocked though, on my HD7950 it ran maxed out with FPS in the 70-86 range so far. I am still early in it but that is just awesome. Makes me wonder if Unity was the issue on the other 2 or if it was the developers not being as good with Linux.

I guess you are playing it with the propietary driver, right? I bought the game months ago and still haven't played it. I had hope it would work with mesa 12 but it seems the game is bugged and doesn't work with it either.

You are correct, I used the proprietary drivers for both the HD7950 as well as the GTX 960. Catalyst 15.02/15.12 for the 7950 and 352.63 for the GTX 960.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.