You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Why is gog.com so popular here?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
whm1974 Jul 22, 2016
For one GOG.com has older games that do not have native ports but work on Wine, such as SMACX(Linux port no longer works) and Fallout and Fallout 2.
Hamish Jul 23, 2016
Quoting: borartrWhy would someone, seeking drm free games only and sympathizing with linux buy on gog.com instead of humblebundle??

Humble Store does not actively push for DRM Free, which at this point I find more important than pushing for Linux support if I am to be fully honest with you, even though I only play games on Linux.

I also find it much harder to find what it is I am looking for on Humble Store, as it is filled with Steam and/or Windows only titles and a lot of its filters are a joke - you can set it to only show DRM Free Linux titles and still get the wrong results as it will include Linux Steam games that happen to have a DRM Free release on Windows for example, which is why I have a great deal of trouble trusting it. Plus they spend so much time promoting Windows only Steam games that it does tend to grate on my nerves.

I used to use Humble exclusively, but right now I would much rather support GOG.com or itch.io instead.
borartr Jul 23, 2016
@ whm1974
sure old games are a good reason for using gog, though personally im more interested in newer ones. However its no reason of exclusively demanding a gog version of every new game.

@ Hamisch
Well, of course I accept your opinion, but as manero666 said i completely fail to understand it. a drm free title on a drm platform effectively has drm. its like choosing between being in a jail where you can move freely, or move freely in a world where you can visit certain cells as you like. the point that windows does vanish is propably as likely as that steam does vanish - very unlikely in any relevant time frime. (id take a bet that steam will survive even longer^^)
i get your point about the filter, but to me its minor issue that gog also has plenty of.
whm1974 Jul 23, 2016
Quoting: borartr@ whm1974
sure old games are a good reason for using gog, though personally im more interested in newer ones. However its no reason of exclusively demanding a gog version of every new game.

Most of my games are from Steam, while a few are from GOG. I do prefer Steam since they take of updates for me, which would be a PITA to do manually since I have something like 80 games installed or so.
PublicNuisance Jul 23, 2016
I am someone who wants to feel like they actually owns my games. If GOG were to go out of business or ban my account tomorrow I have a backup copy of my games on an a secondary hard drive, a file server and soon to be cloud storage. Short of a house fire I'm good and could keep playing my games. Steam can't offer me that. People can argue that Steam allows me to play a game offline but I still have to login to play as well as be online any time I want to download the game. If they ban my account: good bye games. If their servers are down and I don't have my game installed: good bye games until it's fixed. Basically with stores like Steam I have access to my games when Steam lets me have access to my games. With GOG as long as I am able to download my games one time from them then I never have to rely on them again. I don't just shop at GOG, I simply prefer DRM free. I also shop at Humble Store, Itch.io, Gamersgate and IndieGameStand. I am not saying Steam offers no benefits but sadly the benefits they offer don't appeal to me and they fail to offer what I really want which is DRM free. I don't care if my game is autopatched, I can do that myself. I don't care about achievments at all. I don't care about seeing which games my friends are playing, I don't play online.

If anything I see Steam as a barrier to DRM free even if it doesn't mean to be. There are countless games with Linux versions on Steam where GOG and other DRM free outlets seem to never get the Linux version. Metro Redux, Dying Light, Metro Last Light Redux, System Shock 2, Waking Mars, etc. I don't know why they don't put the Linux version DRM free and am not saying Valve is outright responsible but something fishy is up and I doubt it's that GOG hates Linux.
manero666 Jul 26, 2016

this old school key activation may explain why a lot of people prefer GOG over Steam and drm in general

the game is Age of Empire III Steam version (wasn't Steam enough??)
whm1974 Jul 26, 2016
I really really hate product keys, which is one of the reasons I switch to using FOSS software in the first place. It is a huge PITA to keep track of them.
borartr Jul 28, 2016
you guys keep on posting why you like drm free games, but not why you prefer gog over humblebundle, as i asked more specifically in the following post (see also above)

Quoting: borartrNice to see you sharing your reasons. I myself feel a strong sympathy for drm free gamees. til now my main point remained unsanswered though. Why would someone, seeking drm free games only and sympathizing with linux buy on gog.com instead of humblebundle??

i cannot see ANY point. humblebundle offers all games that support it drm free, has good bundles, actively pushes developers for linux support (the games icluded in the first bundles got ported for linux just because of it, which imho just started the porting hype of indie titles and gave us very excellent games), and also supports charity.
dont forget that you get steam keys also, for playing with friend atleast or other reasons, increasing linux games sold counter :). i assume steam gets its share too, using it to push linux even more.
manero666 Jul 28, 2016
I prefer buying from humble bundle when they have both drm-free and steam key!

Anyway is good to have all these alternatives, maybe one day we will have 1 key that works everywhere :)
Pit Jul 28, 2016
Quoting: borartryou guys keep on posting why you like drm free games, but not why you prefer gog over humblebundle, as i asked more specifically in the following post (see also above)

Hamish was exactly getting to the point. Like him, I was a huge supporter of humble and bought all the HIBs, plus quite bunch of store games (once they started with the store). At that time there were no linux games on GOG (so I didn't even know the store, only heard it mentioned in some posts).

It is also my believe that Humble was one of the MAJOR cornerstones for Linux Gaming, as for their bundles they required cross-platform DRM-free games from the developers, and I do think that this indeed convinced some of them to have linux on the radar.

But then the 'downfall' of Humble started. More and more of their bundles were either Windows-only or Steam-only. So they are useless for me. As Hamish described, finding DRM-free Linux games in their store has some pitfalls. I really don't feel taken seriously anymore as an DRM-free Linux Gamer. This is quite sad, given their history mentioned in the paragraph above :(

In the same turn, GOG had started supporting Linux, and did so in a quite convincing way. Their shop presentation of games is very nice, with screenshots and reviews, and the search function works flawlessly. Many of the titles available here are either not on Humble at all, or often only as Steam-Key. So except for historical reasons I rather cannot see why someone would buy at humble instead of at GOG.

Quoting: borartr@ Hamisch
Well, of course I accept your opinion, but as manero666 said i completely fail to understand it. a drm free title on a drm platform effectively has drm.

I do not understand this accusation - he told you he is only playing on Linux. And yes, if you're all for DRM then both Windows and Steam are not acceptable.

Quoting: borartri cannot see ANY point. humblebundle offers all games that support it drm free,

Plain wrong. Victor Vran? Book of Unwritten Tales 2? Pillars of Eternity? The Bard's Tale?
All Steam-only in the Humble Store, but DRM-free on GOG. And that's just a few from my list.

Quotedon't forget that you get steam keys also

As mentioned above, useless for me. I do not have a steam account (and never will). I chose Linux for freedom, without compromise and with all consequences (i.e., my last Windows had been 3.1; and yes, I have been playing on Linux all the time. Long before Humble and/or Steam).
A concept like steam, that tries to tie other peoples work, which I pay for, to a 3rd party account with login and DRM does not fit in such a world, so I'm not supporting them.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.