Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Why is gog.com so popular here?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
borartr Jul 14, 2016
Hello guys,

from time to time im reading the news and comments on this site, and often see a big sympathy towards the site gog.com, e.g. people saying they'll buy a game they are interested in when it comes out on gog.com, news that only announce games being released on gog.com and similar stuff.
The point is, i dont understand why. From my point of view, which i consider to be based on rational arguments only, i deem other stores much more reasonable to buy at. Especially if someones interested in pushing linux gaming.
Lets start comparing the three big stores i currently buy at and have the biggest influence imho, namely steam, humblebundle and also gog:

steam spends huge amount of resources on linux gaming, they ported all they own games to linux, which gave us many of the most popular pc games arround. i hardly doubt without steam linux gaming would have had any chance of becoming more popular, also encouraging other major developers publishing their games on linux. they do even more with steamos, trying to spread linux amoung other gamers, ultimately pushing linux. also linux client with easy installation, no dependency searching, which imo is a nogo for many gamers. would it be a wrong step to support this by buying steam games?

on gog you have to install all dependencies yourself, which may not be a big deal for most of us here, since we are used to it, but kills linux for the other 99% for sure, and i can understand them. they show no signs of improving it, they dont even have their client, galaxy, available on linux, although its out for some time now. no signs of doing so in near future. games with linux support take some time to get a linux version on gog, so essentially they hold down linux popularity. if i want to play a new game, and have linux and windows, for which platform will i buy if windows is day0 and linux day3? also their own games, the witcher series, is not ported and no signs of doing so. except witcher2 port, which was rubbish at first, and also is not native.
i could talk more about my personal opinion, how i like steam features as metacritic score, recent reviews, community hubs and forum (often good troubleshooting), but want to stay objective right now. so whats the advantage of gog? i see only the fact that they offer their games drm free, which is an important point to me also. many games are a bit cheaper than directly on steam.

humblebundle essentially offers the advantage of drm free, together with all advantages of steam key, and also supports charity. they also have a good support and good prices. so unless you really want to save those 0-3% on retail prices of single direct purchases and give a fuck about future linux gaming, i dont see any reason to buy modern games on gog.

maybe some people here can clarify why gog is so popular here? i really want to understand.
Liam Dawe Jul 14, 2016
People don't like DRM, GOG is one of the only stores to heavily push for DRM free. Most other stores accepted games that have DRM, GOG do not.

That is plain and simply the main reason people like GOG so much.

On top of that, I believe GOG test each platform release to make sure they work properly. Valve does not do this with Steam.

Of course everyone has their own opinion on it, some games on Steam allow you to completely take the game away from Steam and still run, but a lot of Steam games depend on Steam and won't run without it.

Personally, I will buy from whoever gives me the best deal that I can be sure will count my sale for Linux. That is almost always Steam for me personally.
damarrin Jul 14, 2016
Yeah, CD Projekt doesn't care about Linux too much (very few people in their native Poland do - it's a huge MS love fest). They finally decided to publish Linux versions of games probably not to differ too much from other stores when it turned out everybody was doing it. W2 was probably some sort of a test which Linux (and we) clearly failed, as they haven't shown any interest in expanding their involvement.

DRM free is a nice thing and that's probably what makes people think well of them. Personally, I buy from wherever it's cheaper at a given point. In Steam I like that I have all the games in one place, automatically updated. In GOG I like that I can just download something and install it everywhere I want (I have multiple computers) without making and restoring backups (and being online). But their patch versioning system is complete crap, I never know which version I already have and end up downloading the whole thing again once a new version is out.
manero666 Jul 15, 2016
GOG is popular because they offer DRM free games.
I bought some games from them but i think i'm not going to buy anymore.
Mainly because i like the features that Steam gives you, like cloud saving and a WAY better Linux support.
Also, some games bought on Steam can be redeemed on GOG but it doesn't happen the opposite way, unless you ask the publisher/developer for a key.
Plus GOG has gog.com/connect which gives you the chance to activate some steam games on GOG

I visit the GOG forum often, naturally there is a lot of hate for steam but it's quite understandable

what my mind can't really understand is the huge amount of HARCORE DRM FREE WARRIORS who will rather die instead of using the EVIL Steam but on the same time are using WINDOZZ 10
wvstolzing Jul 15, 2016
Quoting: manero666what my mind can't really understand is the huge amount of HARCORE DRM FREE WARRIORS who will rather die instead of using the EVIL Steam but on the same time are using WINDOZZ 10

That strikes me as inconsistent too.

Equally perplexing is the denigration of Windows 10 as 'spyware', 'ransomware', etc., while being completely comfortable with the rest of MS's 'ecosystem', or all manner of proprietary software & services in general. I think it really comes down to what's fashionable -- a *principled* rejection of MS's policies wouldn't simply stop at Windows 10.

More on topic: I'm fully aware of the various disadvantages of GOG & Humble over Steam *for Linux*; nevertheless I give priority to those when I'm looking to buy something. In addition to the reasons already cited (no DRM, sympathy for the underdog, etc.), it's also partly because I'm really put off by the bargain-bin-mayhem character of the Steam website. I'm also happy with managing my saves & various online logins manually.
Avehicle7887 Jul 15, 2016
Personally I don't know where I would be without GOG. Despite how much Valve has given and done to promote Linux gaming, I cannot even remotely consider of using Steam. The Most important aspect of this is the DRM, I will simply never tolerate that I have to use a client to play my games, or having to login to play a game I already bought and downloaded (let's not mention the offline mode).

Then there are forced choices such as auto updates which as far as I know you cannot turn these off. Last but not least I don't care about achievements, hours played, friends list, cloud saving...etc (without trying to sound rude, I consider many of these features to be stupid and totally unnecessary).

That said, even as an exclusive GOG user I still have some boundaries, such as the Galaxy client. I don't and nor will have any interest in using it. So long as GOG offers the offline installers it will remain my only website I will buy from.

I kept such rules before I moved to Linux, you could say that dumping Windows was the last nail in the coffin for the people trying to tell me what I should do with my stuff.
slaapliedje Jul 16, 2016
It's kind of funny, I mostly buy on Steam for some of the reasons that people state they don't buy it there. I like having my game library in one quick spot, I think of it much like a OS within itself where I can just launch games. Granted I probably think of it this way because it's the only reason I still use Windows at all, most of the time I'm in Linux doing work or browsing and doing my own thing with the occasional game thrown in, and having to reboot into that crappy interface is something I generally avoid if I can.

Would be nice if GOG would release galaxy for Linux. I have a few games I'd like to play I have through there without the hassle of going there and downloading them, and some of their dos games still don't have Linux launchers, so you end up having to tweak dosbox yourself.
ZekThePenguin Jul 19, 2016
Support from the Linux community to ANY game platform is a good thing. Admittedly, GOG's Linux support has been pretty puny, as they didn't officially announce their Linux section until Steam had been around for a while. Even now their Linux games are listed at the bottom of the list after all the genres. I also dislike how their Galaxy client is not on Linux and won't be for some time, if ever.
I DO like the DRM-free library, the availability of some really old games, the fact that I can play games offline if I wish, and the features in Galaxy that are being promised (offline play, possibly playing with people on Steam, a back-up feature, a rollback option). It would be awesome to see Galaxy come to Linux! I suppose my main issue with GOG is how Linux is an afterthought with them.
How cool would it be, though, to see Galaxy on Linux with a Gaming On Linux skin and a whole bunch of community-driven features and content added to it?
GustyGhost Jul 20, 2016
I just want to point out that you do not have to install dependencies yourself as long as you are using Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Ever since GOG updated to the mojosetup based installer, Linux game installation feels just like any other platform. In fact, one of the reasons I like GOG games so much is that it reminds me of the old days when you installed games straight from disc without the need for clients or internet and the only "DRM" was the CD key that could be used on any other computer you own indefinitely. The mobile world we live in today is training people that their applications are tied to the cloud or whatever app store and that there's no other way access the software.

I do love Valve for their devotion to Linux games but I can't stand how Steam broadcasts to the world when you're on or off your computer and whether or not your playing a particular game. Sure, there are privacy settings and "appear offline" but then it looks like you're avoiding your friends when you use those. And with a forced client like Steam there is no choice but to deal with it.

If ever I can get a game on GOG I will, Steam comes second as long as they force a closed source client and DRM on me. I even made this nifty flowchart regarding my game purchasing decision logic.

borartr Jul 22, 2016
Nice to see you sharing your reasons. I myself feel a strong sympathy for drm free gamees. til now my main point remained unsanswered though. Why would someone, seeking drm free games only and sympathizing with linux buy on gog.com instead of humblebundle??

i cannot see ANY point. humblebundle offers all games that support it drm free, has good bundles, actively pushes developers for linux support (the games icluded in the first bundles got ported for linux just because of it, which imho just started the porting hype of indie titles and gave us very excellent games), and also supports charity.
dont forget that you get steam keys also, for playing with friend atleast or other reasons, increasing linux games sold counter :). i assume steam gets its share too, using it to push linux even more.

Quoting: Avehicle7887[...]
Quoting: AnxiousInfusion[...]

may someone, especially of the gog only users above, explain to me?
JudasIscariot Jul 22, 2016
Well, I like our versions of games because they make excellent candidates for Wine testing :P
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.