You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Skyrim Special Edition?
Tom B Oct 30, 2016
Has anyone had any luck getting Skyrim Special Edition to run under Wine? I had to do a manual install of Steam under playonlinux as by default it installs 32bit steam which doesn't work. Pressing "Run" tries to install DirectX and VCRun then nothing happens. I've installed them both via vcrun with no luck.

I'm not sure if it works at all but it may be a simple config change I need to make.
JudasIscariot Oct 30, 2016
It needs a lot of work on the DX11 side AFAIK.

Might as well add yourself to the CC list to get updates on this bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41618
ziabice Oct 30, 2016
Just yesterday I installed the "plain" Skyrim plus the free High-Res textures DLC: apart from some lights effects, it's the same as the Special Edition and works like a charm under WINE + Gallium Nine patches.
Tom B Oct 30, 2016
Hmm, is that all that's changed in the Special Edition? From the screenshots it looks like more than just textures. I've already got all the DLC and high res textures so I got the special edition for free on steam. I was planning to play through it again so thought I might as well wait for the special edition.

The standard edition works great at 4k on my 980Ti as well :)
Spl-it Nov 1, 2016
do you get decent framerates with skyrim on wine ? I get terrible fps drops all over the place.
the intro scene is a good example when your character is still in the back of the cart.. looking at a mountain makes the fps nose dive.

Tried all the tweaks I could find, same result.
(gtx680 / i73820)

As for the dx11 version of skyrim, good luck on that one ;)
Tom B Nov 3, 2016
60fps in most places, occasionally drops down to 40 at 4k Ultra settings. Wine staging 1.9.21 with glsl disabled and csmt enabled on a inno3d 980ti hybrid with the latest nvidia blob and a hex core Xeon x5670 at 4.2ghz with 32gb ram (although pointless as skyrim is a 32bit game)
ziabice Nov 4, 2016
You have to use WINE Staging with CSMT enabled or WINE + Gallium Nine to get good performance: I'm playing FullHD with High detail getting very good FPS (not stellar) using radeonsi driver.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.