Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
HDMI not working on Nvidia
ttyborg Nov 13, 2016
Hi!

I have some issue with the HDMI video output not working for me, hope you guys can help me.
I have a GTX1070, but it was the same with my previous GTX660, the DVI output is working properly, but if I try to connect to my display using HDMI, there is no signal. I tried with different displays and cables, but it's the same everytime, except for using a DVI-to-HDMI cable, DVI hooked into the GPU, HDMI into the display. Also, if I set the UEFI settings on my Asrock Z77 mobo to use the onboard output it works with HDMI, and it seems to me it uses the GTX1070 for the computation, as I checked it in Unigine Valley. But that is not an option for me, as I want to use a 4k monitor in the near future, and that needs HDMI 2.0 and my mobo supports 1.4 onboard. By the way, I am using the 370.28 driver installed through "Additional Drivers" on Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1.

Thanks in advance for your help!
ttyborg Nov 13, 2016
Also, if there's anyone with 4k monitor with Nvidia GPU, can you tell me what motherboard do you have?
damarrin Nov 14, 2016
All I can say is I haven't had any problems with HDMI on Nvidia cards since forever (since at least the 500 series). Have you tried connecting 2 monitors at once to see if the display that doesn't work at all appears in Nvidia's or the system control panel?
ttyborg Nov 14, 2016
Ok, I feel a bit dumb now.
It seems the problem was the cable bumped into the case, so all I had to do is to get rid of some of the plastic of the connector, so it looks like this.
damarrin Nov 16, 2016
Ah, yes. I remember I had to tilt my gfx card a little downward, as the HDMI socket was right at the edge of the slot and the connector wouldn't go in fully otherwise.

You're not dumb, BTW, it's just bad engineering. Your cable looks like it has quite a massive connector, too.

Glad you got it sorted. :-)
damarrin Nov 16, 2016
And thanks for posting what the solution was. Way too many people ask a question and follow with "nvm, got it sorted". Not very helpful for others who might have a similar problem. ;-)
tuubi Nov 16, 2016
I was wondering about this as I've never had any trouble with the HDMI outputs on any of our Nvidia cards. It's not always obvious that a connector isn't properly plugged in. I had similar trouble with an audio jack recently, and solved it with a knife, just like you did.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.