Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Flattr, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
linux logo
lucinos 28 November 2016 at 4:35 pm UTC

My question is simple. What is wrong with simply using Tux head? I think it is perfect.

see being used on steamdb: https://steamdb.info/app/474750/
(the same idea maybe similar not same icon)

For big images, whole Tux with body is perfect but for small icons is not. Instead of using oversimplified Tux images why not simply his head?

SeeK 29 November 2016 at 4:00 am UTC

Yeah, that's just awful. It looks like bad vector art of Al Jolson, lol

This image just popped up in a GoL thread recently.

I'd still clean it up a little, but this seems a lot more modern to me.

neocron 7 February 2017 at 10:19 pm UTC

The full body logo looks more professional to me.

Perkeleen_Vittupää 8 February 2017 at 7:48 am UTC

a Tux head would be just bueno also for me. Steam used to have it

Gonza565 8 February 2017 at 7:08 pm UTC

Full body looks the best to me too. That light bulb shaped one looks amateurish to me. The head alone looks fine, but blown up like that looks kinda creepy.

I think the full body one could be better though -

I don't think he really needs his hand(? wing? flipper? flippy flap?) on his foot like that, some of the white highlights could go, and the edges could be smoother and better defined.

Gonza565 8 February 2017 at 7:44 pm UTC

Btw this Darkest Dungeon Tux Is pretty tight.

neocron 11 February 2017 at 10:26 am UTC

Very nice indeed!

Luke_Nukem 14 February 2017 at 10:48 pm UTC

Tux is a mascot, not a logo, and should be treated as such.

Linux does need an actual logo, look how out of place tux is . It doesn't scale well - small details are lost, it's an odd dimension (not square), it's ugly.

Did I mention Tux is freaking ugly (Not as bad as that damned GNU though)? Looks exactly like his age.

neowiz73 15 February 2017 at 12:12 am UTC

a gent by the name of Nathanel Titane did the "modern tux". he posted a few variants in the OMGubuntu site, article found here. you have to read pretty far down into the comments to see them. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/10/alternative-tux-logo

this one:

and this one are nice i think.

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • GTFO - R2C1 - Work Together Or Die Together [GER/ENG]
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts