Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
MESA devel on Linux Mint 18 + RX 480
ixxxo Nov 28, 2016
Hey guys, I bought Tomb Rider which didn't even start with AMDGPU-PRO driver. After mailing support at Feral they suggested me to try Mesa drivers (they recommend 11.2 for TRider). I uninstalled AMDGPU PRO and got 11.2 mesa by default, but peformance of glxgears were only 700-800 FPS (I remember having ~3000 with old 280X AMD). I tried Padoka PPA with 13.1 mesa devel, but exactly same result in glxgears.

Any idea what might be wrong?
manero666 Nov 28, 2016
I think that glxgears isn't exactly the best software to use when comparing drivers.
Have you tried out Tomb Raider and its benchmark?
ixxxo Nov 28, 2016
Ok, I missed some important things as I see now :).

1. I don't even start steam with mesa, less the Tomb Rider (steam.sh runs, but no GUI is loading)
2. felt like HW rendering with Mesa was not simply there (but got direct rendering: yes in glxinfo), even YT videos had lower framerate (not that they need HW rendering!), If game started (unlike Tomb Rider), I didn't get past menu and framerate was very low (like 1 FPS at best)
I used padoka ppa which is now Mesa 13.1 with same result in all described aspects

To me it seems like I forget some extremely important detail like setting DRI in XOrg or something else? I am not that familiar with Mesa, but googling didn't really help me understand what might be the problem (before when trying Padoka PPA, I was able to get nice results on AMD 280x though with no extra steps).
ixxxo Nov 28, 2016
Thanks a ton mirv, I uninstalled AMDGPU PRO again and installed Padoku PPA.

glxinfo: http://pastebin.com/de2npDgh
Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/m0gWiHNF

Glxinfo looks good to me (showing 13.1 devel Mesa + direct rendering - yes. XOrg I am not that sure about, see several errors but I am unable to tell if they are 'sorta ok'.

This one looks sorta explain why there is poor performance though:

[    14.330] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

Thanks again for any ideas!
pete910 Nov 28, 2016
Not sure about *buntu based but on Mageia (RedHat) you need to remove a few libs from the steam folder.

libstdc++ and a few others.

Might be wise to wait for a *buntu guy to clarify first though

Edit:

To clarify, that's to use Mesa.
ixxxo Nov 29, 2016
Now I am utterly confused.

EE about fallback to software rendering is gone from todays Xorg.0.log.

vblank_mode=0 glxgears 
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
51401 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10279.994 FPS
52630 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10525.814 FPS
53456 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10691.200 FPS

glxinfo | grep LLVM
    Device: AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.3.0 / 4.8.0-040800rc5-generic, LLVM 4.0.0) (0x67df)
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.3.0 / 4.8.0-040800rc5-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)

That's after one more reboot (I was rebooting after AMDGPU PRO driver uninstall, and after Mesa Padoka PPA + upgrade install).
ixxxo Nov 29, 2016
Also Steam was fixed with following (renaming some obsolete libraries ):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/762219/steam-wont-start-on-ubuntu-16-04

Tomb Rider runs, there are some texture glitches, but I guess that's as far as we can get! :)

Thanks a TON to all you guys, I'd not be able to move forward without your help!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.