Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
What libraries are you using, and for what?
Luke_Nukem Nov 28, 2016
Curious about this.

Right now I'm using SDL2 with rust via the rust-sdl2 wrapper. Also starting to contribute to it (the rust-sdl2 that is). I decided to use it since SDL2 is somewhat a de facto standard and provides a pretty damned good abstraction layer between the OS and you.

But I also like SFML a fair bit since it also has the ability to use shaders, plus custom vertex arrays. It has also improved drastically in the last year or so. Considering switching to it after this project, but also I might stick with SDL2 and implement a Vulkan renderer to replace the SDL2 one...

Decisions, decisions...

Anyone playing with physics libs? I used to prefer bullet back in the day. tokamak was a good second choice too.
Luke_Nukem Nov 28, 2016
Quoting: GuestI was using some file handling lib (physfs I think it was), but ended up taking the bits I was using and writing my own version. It ends up being one file that handles the specifics I needed, and removes a dependency - sometimes, libraries aren't needed.

Interesting that you mention that. I've found myself starting to do that; for example a math library that contains almost everything even slightly related, I pick out the bits I need and refine them. One file, no deps. It's really not a bad thing to do at all.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.