Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
WoT Linux Graphic errror
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Bedrockwarlord Dec 3, 2016
Hey Guys!
I am relatively new to the Linux system, I currently use a Fedora 25 OS I believe. I am trying to setup a world of tanks game for my pc, but I keep running into a nasty bug. I used PlayOnLinux to install it, but i ran into a bug that prevented the application from launching. So, instead, I navigated to the game folder and directly launched the game from there. Everything worked fine until I got to the game menu/garage. Every tank is colored by a black or green or purple skin that looks mostly random and is not a part of the game. I entered a battle only to find that the graphics are not generating correctly, at all. They are so poor quality that it is embarrasing, and the minimap wont generate at all. I have tried adjusting the graphics settings, but it only decreases the quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
manero666 Dec 4, 2016
The game should work with no issues, I tried it myself with Wine Gallium Nine and it was running fine (video here.

I would be quite helpful if you could post more info about your hardware and what Wine version.
Bedrockwarlord Dec 5, 2016
Ok, so I uninstalled wine and playonlinux and tried to reinstall. However, I soon got an nerror message saying my graphic card di not have enough memory. I am not sure how this is possible since, before i switched from W10 to Fedora, I played WoT no problem... What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to make it see that my graphic card has enough memory?
Is there a method to install it outside of playonlinux for fedora?
manero666 Dec 5, 2016
Are you using AMD or Nvidia?

If you're on Nvidia, are you sure you're using the proprietary drivers?
If you have no idea please open a terminal, copy and paste this command and post the output here on the forum:

glxinfo|grep Op
damarrin Dec 5, 2016
I don't think you want to install anything outside PlayOnLinux. It's hands down the most convenient way to run Windows software, being able to adjust settings and Wine version separately for every program and from the system Wine version, if any.

As manero said, please post more info about your hardware (especially the gfx card and the driver you're using). Also, please say which version of Wine you have running in your WoT container. Did you install any libraries like dx9 or vcrun?

Take a look at the World of Tanks winehq page (google "winehq world of tanks", the search on winehq itself looks broken right now). See what the people with silver and gold ratings did to get the game running. Especially note the Wine version they used for the game and install and set the same one in PlayOnLinux. People will say they installed stuff with winetricks, but you can just use the POL GUI do to the same things.
damarrin Dec 5, 2016
As for your gfx card memory error, you can set that manually in POL. For various reasons the amount of gfx card memory is hard to autodetect for Wine and giving it the value yourself can make a difference.
Quoting: manero666Are you using AMD or Nvidia?

If you're on Nvidia, are you sure you're using the proprietary drivers?
If you have no idea please open a terminal, copy and paste this command and post the output here on the forum:

glxinfo|grep Op
I am using an AMD R5 Radeon Graphics card, the results from the code are:
Spoiler, click me
[Josiah@Valorous ~]$ glxinfo|grep Op
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.46.0 / 4.8.8-200.fc24.x86_64, LLVM 3.8.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 12.0.3
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.10
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 12.0.3
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
[Josiah@Valorous ~]$

Quoting: damarrinI don't think you want to install anything outside PlayOnLinux. It's hands down the most convenient way to run Windows software, being able to adjust settings and Wine version separately for every program and from the system Wine version, if any.

As manero said, please post more info about your hardware (especially the gfx card and the driver you're using). Also, please say which version of Wine you have running in your WoT container. Did you install any libraries like dx9 or vcrun?

Take a look at the World of Tanks winehq page (google "winehq world of tanks", the search on winehq itself looks broken right now). See what the people with silver and gold ratings did to get the game running. Especially note the Wine version they used for the game and install and set the same one in PlayOnLinux. People will say they installed stuff with winetricks, but you can just use the POL GUI do to the same things.
Ok, I will keep trying PlayonLinux. For the Graphics card and drivers, I am afraid that is all the information I have off-hand, what commands should I run to get all the details? I did not install any libraries that I am aware of. After doing the search you recommended, I got this:
Spoiler, click me
Version Description Rating Wine version Test results Comments
9.x (all servers) 9.x version for all servers Silver 1.9.19 23 9
.What is the POL GUI? So, I just reinstalled playonlinux through the sudo dnf install playonlinux command in order to get a clean start. From WineHQ, I found the following steps, but I am not sure what they mean. Could somebody lead me through these?
Spoiler, click me
HowTo / Notes
Recommended installation sequence (v.9.15)

As for many other apps, it is recommended that you install this game in clean wine prefix (directory, containing your "windows folders" and wine configuration).

The following installation sequence is recommended:

winetricks d3dx9_36
add msvcp110 and msvcr110 libraries using winecfg as "native, builtin"
Change "launcher_transport" from 3 to 2 in "WoTLauncher.cfg", to avoid torrent update issue (Bug#38980)
(Intel GPU) install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 (S3TC compatible library) deb package from repository

By the way, thank you so much for helping me with this guys, I really appreciate it! Can't wait for this to resolve.
manero666 Dec 5, 2016
Pick up the latest Wine version available and install and run the game with it.
If the game doesn't work out of the box try to install those libraries.

Anyway you won't get close to the Win10 performances by using vanilla Wine or even Wine Staging.
To get as close as possible you need to use Wine Gallium Nine but I guess that POL doesn't have it avaiable (aside for some old versions).
I searched the web a bit and I couldn't find a Wine G9 package for Fedora, leaving you to patch and compile Wine + G9 as the only alternative.
Bedrockwarlord Dec 7, 2016
Ok guys, after a few hours download I have some updates. I changed the Wine configuration to run with 1.9.19. This is the version that WineHQ said should work, and the game launches fine. However, I am still running into a graphics error. Also, running WoT from the playonlinux GUI crashes almost immmedietly. Going into the Program files and launching the launcher exe file results in an only partially generating launcher menu, but running the game exe file directly seems to work. How would I install the correct libraries? I am not sure which ones to install or how to do it. I am currently installing 1.9.24 Wine in order to see if that solves the issue, but I am not sure if it will.
damarrin Dec 7, 2016
Did you edit WoTLauncher.cfg? Apparently it solves a problem with the launcher crashing.

You install libraries in POL by clicking the Configure button, making sure the container where you installed WoT is selected on the left, clicking the install components tab (label could be different, my system is in a different language), selecting e.g. d3dx9_36 from the list and pressing Install.

To set libraries to native click the Wine tab and then the Configure Wine button. A new window opens. There, on the Libraries tab, select the library you want to modify from the list and set it appropriately.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.