You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Seems Feral is porting mainly for iOS now.
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
1xok Jan 15, 2017
It seems Feral is porting mainly for iOS at the moment. Please have a look at the radar:

https://www.feralinteractive.com/de/upcoming/

I see only one Linux game in the queue. Another Game seems to be ported only to Mac. The rest is iOS.

This is a little bit sad but I've expected this. There are now just too many Mac ports of AAA games that temporarily or completely fail. For example: F1, Deus:Ex, TW:Warhammer.

Linux ports were always based on the Mac ports. But this piggyback scheme don't work any more. For Apple high performance gaming is unfortunately no priority. And they have now their own API. Metal. This makes it currently difficult to bring elaborate games to Mac OS. There is also a lack of suitable hardware for Mac users. A company like Feral must finally earn money. This is much easier by porting for iOS. But of course this will be smaller or older games. And this does not result in Linux ports certainly not in actual AAA games.

What do you think?
wojtek88 Jan 15, 2017
Quoting: PixelPiI see only one Linux game in the queue. Another Game seems to be ported only to Mac. The rest is iOS.

This is a little bit sad but I've expected this. There are now just too many Mac ports of AAA games that temporarily or completely fail. For example: F1, Deus:Ex, TW:Warhammer.
I have an impression that you meant that too many Linux ports of AAA games failed.

Quoting: PixelPiLinux ports were always based on the Mac ports. But this piggyback scheme don't work any more. For Apple high performance gaming is unfortunately no priority. And they have now their own API. Metal. This makes it currently difficult to bring elaborate games to Mac OS. There is also a lack of suitable hardware for Mac users. A company like Feral must finally earn money. This is much easier by porting for iOS. But of course this will be smaller or older games. And this does not result in Linux ports certainly not in actual AAA games.

What do you think?
I think you're overreacting. Feral having more Mac / iOS titiles in pipe right now means only that they signed contracts for them. It does not mean they abandon us or they don't want to do Linux ports. As you said - having company is about making money. It seems, that those ports in pipe are most profitable for Feral in near future, so they are focusing on it. They may be many reasons of such a situation:
- financial results of Linux ports are not so good, as they assumed,
- Mac / iOS ports are much more profitable,
- There was no company that would be interested in port of their game that would like to sign deal with Feral,
- Feral planned it long ago, to push Linux ports in 2016 and beginning of the 2017 spend on Mac / iOS ports.
And honestly I guess we would be able to come up with more potential reasons. My opinion is that we need to wait. Recently I had similar impression with Aspyr, as you do with Feral right now. I was thinking that Aspyr abandoned us, and suddenly they are porting CIV6 for us.

My advise? Just buy Linux games and proove with your wallet, that we are a piece of cake that companies may be interested in.
Xpander Jan 15, 2017
your title Mainly seems really wrong..
you are jumping into conclusions way too fast. If their radar has few iOS games atm doesn't mean they stopped with other games. Like previously said they just probably havent signed anything yet.
1xok Jan 15, 2017
Quoting: Xpanderyour title Mainly seems really wrong..
you are jumping into conclusions way too fast. If their radar has few iOS games atm doesn't mean they stopped with other games. Like previously said they just probably havent signed anything yet.

Okay, one game for Mac, one for Linux and Mac and two for iOS. I meant to have seen more iOS titles.
Liam Dawe Jan 15, 2017
Quoting: PixelPiThis is a little bit sad but I've expected this. There are now just too many Mac ports of AAA games that temporarily or completely fail. For example: F1, Deus:Ex, TW:Warhammer.
What about them failed exactly?

People said this sort of thing about Aspyr and Civ, yet that's coming.

Don't look into it so much, their radar doesn't really mean all that much.
1xok Jan 15, 2017
Quoting: liamdawePeople said this sort of thing about Aspyr and Civ, yet that's coming.

Thanks liamdawe! Yes, that's right. Also Divinity Original Sin was a case which ended very positive.

Nevertheless: It would be much better if Apple would still sit in the OpenGL/Vulkan train. I'm curious when Deus: Ex and Warhammer will appear for Mac OS. ED:Horizon was canceled due to the lack of compute shaders:

https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=228

And this is ultimately the reason why there will be no Linux port. If Frontier had created one at all, then only as derivation of the Mac OS port I think. It was clear that they were surprised by Metal and the statement no longer to update OpenGL. ED would definitely be my favorite game if it were for Linux.

Okay I digress. But maybe you understand what worries me?

EDIT: formatting
MaCroX95 Jan 15, 2017
Quoting: liamdawe
Quoting: PixelPiThis is a little bit sad but I've expected this. There are now just too many Mac ports of AAA games that temporarily or completely fail. For example: F1, Deus:Ex, TW:Warhammer.
What about them failed exactly?

People said this sort of thing about Aspyr and Civ, yet that's coming.

I mean... seriously? What failed about those games, they are awesome? And Feral actually announced the Vulkan ports for Linux upcoming, I think that currently even brighter times are coming for Linux gamers...
1xok Jan 15, 2017
Quoting: liamdaweI mean... seriously? What failed about those games, they are awesome?

Yes, but not for Mac users so far.

EDIT: formatting
Liam Dawe Jan 15, 2017
Quoting: PixelPiYes, but not for Mac users so far.
I don't really get what that has to do with anything related here?
MaCroX95 Jan 16, 2017
[quote=PixelPi][quote=MaCroX95]
Quoting: liamdawe
Quoting: PixelPiI mean... seriously? What failed about those games, they are awesome?

Yes, but not for Mac users so far.

Macs are hardware limited, games perform a bit worse on Linux than they do on Windows because they are ports of dx11 games, however macs cannot compare in specs to majority of gaming PCs and Feral doesn't have any magic powers that can make such demanding games work at 60fps on mac's limited hardware... Additionally apple stated that macs are not meant to be gaming devices that's why they won't support Vulkan probably.
jith_feral Jan 16, 2017
  • Game Dev
Hello, Jith here from Feral.

First up, the radar is a bit of fun and doesn't necessarily reflect everything that we're working on right now.

We're committed to bringing great games to Linux and Mac and our iOS plans haven't changed that :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.