Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
GamingOnLinux user reviews / games rank
wojtek88 Feb 11, 2017
Hi guys,
very often when I finish one game I start to wonder - what game should I play.
As we recently read - There is already over 3000 games on Steam that support Linux. Having that in mind I know that there may be many great Indie games that I didn't heard of or missed for some reason. Going through Steam and seeing "Top sellers" or "What's Being Played" is not good enough for me. I would love to read opinions of people who I share opinions with and who actually played those games.

My idea would be to create new section and allow users to either post the review of the games they played through and to allow them to rank the game - for example from 1-10. User would be able to rate a game and a port quality. Before submitting a review it would be good idea to pick the game. In my opinion we could use Steam / GOG as a source of the games + allow custom title submitions (Something similar to what Open Game Bencharks does).

What do you think guys? Would you like to use such a functionality?
I played many games on Linux that I loved and learned about them from this site (XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Broforce, Teslagrad, Day of the Tentacle Remastered) but also played some that I didn't like, but they were really well received on this page (for example Victor Vran). Having opinions about the games in one place would be great. And it would solve Steam reviews hell because it would rate the game for one, loved by us platform.
Liam Dawe Feb 11, 2017
Well, we do have a games database I am gradually building, so it could end up being an extension of that.
wojtek88 Feb 11, 2017
It makes sense. It would be good to see average score / rank for those games in games database and it would be golden from my point of view.
Liam Dawe Feb 11, 2017
Yeah I think it's a pretty good idea, might look to do it :)
lucinos Feb 12, 2017
I believe we should think BIG for the Games Database!

Games Database should be Linux-friendly but not Linux-restricted.

for two reasons
a) It will be more useful even for Linux gamers
b) A very useful tool will make more people using it Linux-curious.

So here is an idea of useful things
a) every game can be listed, not only linux natives
b) there should be quality voting (something like IMDB?)
c) where the game can be found and links (steam, itch.io, gog, ...)
d) operating systems _and_ any kind of emulators (Linux, Windows, Android, Wine, DOSBox, SCUMMVM, ...)
e) tested systems (mostly about hardware, this we may restrict to Linux distributions)
f) general comments

I am not saying of course this should happen all at once, I am saying that we should thing big for the long term.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.