Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Getting feet wet with Antergos
wojtek88 Feb 18, 2017
So, my Ubuntu installation made me angry. I had a partitions, that had wrong size, Pillars of Eternity stopped to work (without giving any output to console), Wine did not work correctly. Instead of fixing it I've decided to do fresh installation.
Recently I've seen that Liam was using Antergos for his desktop, so I've decided to give it a try (first non-ubuntu distro installed as main system ever).
I am very pleased with Gnome 3, it looks and behaves great. And that's where positives end.
I have issues as follows:
1) Nvidia prime does not work. I have to use bumblebee, and I hate it. On Ubuntu I was always using nvidia prime with Nvidia session only. Battery in my laptop is dead, and I have no interest in using intel card. Unfortunately my BIOS does not allow switching to NVidia only. I'm left with Bumblebee on Antergos, and that ssucks...
2) (I guess because of Bumblebee) Some games have some weird glitches. For example Left 4 Dead 2 has only 1/4 of screen rendered, Don't Starve renders only part of the screen, etc). It ssucks.
3) (Yet another issue caused I guess by Bumblebee) Performance wise Pillars of Eternity does not work as good as it used to on Ubuntu - it has less FPS, it ssucks.
4) My Nexus 5 is not supported by default. With Ubuntu I can use it as a pendrive - I plug it, set data transfer mode and I see my phone's memory. On Antergos it does not work OOTB, it ssucks.
5) I can't get my Steam controller work with RetroArch and Gambatte (did not try to do it on Ubuntu, but I would like to give it a try. So far not luck). It ssucks.
6) I've just seen that I can't access Steam overlay by pressing Steam icon in Steam controller. Hmmm... it ssucks.

And here are the questions:
- Does someone know if there is a workaround to force Antergos to use Nvidia only while having Optimus card?
- Does someone managed to get Antergos work with it's Steam controller and RetroArch? I wanted to use it as gamepad outside Steam, inside Emulationstation, but if someone knows how to achieve it with Steam that would be fine as well (I know that Steam controller requires Steam by default, but AFAIK that can be changed).
Xpander Feb 18, 2017
1-3) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

4) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP

5) I think you need to install Standalone steamcontroller driver; https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sc-controller/ - i don't use RetroArch though.

6) probably related to you driver issues
wojtek88 May 13, 2017
After breaking OS completely 3 times while trying to make Nvidia work without Bumblebee, I've decided to abandon Antergos. It doesn't feet hardware with Optimus from my point of view or I'm not ready for Arch distro.

I had to make my laptop working because I use it for work from time to time, so I went back to Ubuntu.

Before switching back I've realized that there is 7th huge issue - chromium was unable to cast to my TV (Google chrome on Ubuntu has no problem at all).

Thanks Xpander for your response, I may use it someday on different hardware.
khalismur May 13, 2017
Manjaro has very easy Bumblebee setup, don't give up on Arch distros :-)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.