Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Wine porters needed for RPG games!
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
MaximB Mar 3, 2017
Hello,
A friend of mine is a programmer of two great Windows RPG/Tactics games:
The Age of Decadence
http://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/

Dungeon Rats
http://store.steampowered.com/app/531930/

They both use the same engine. Torque 3D
http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d
http://torque3d.org/

And while this engine was open sourced, and it is possible to create a native Linux port of the games, it's not that easy.
The developers of those games never used Linux, and don't have the resources to create a native Linux port.

However their games run good in Wine.
I suggested them to create a Wine port, however as they never used Linux - they have no idea how to make a Wine "port".

One of the programmers said that if someone from the community can do a Wine port, he can publish it to Steam.
If we have such person who is willing to port those two games via Wine to Linux, I can provide him with Steam keys or whatever is needed. (not including money)
As the games already run good using Wine, it shouldn't be that hard to make a Wine port.

Please note that this is a community effort, and we will NOT get payed for the Wine port...
But at least we and many other Linux gamers, could play it on our system - which I this is good enough for such Wine port.

Thank You,
Maxim.
JudasIscariot Mar 8, 2017
Does Age of Decadence still randomly crash while loading when running it Wine? The last time I played the game it would crash at certain times for no reason...
MaximB Mar 9, 2017
I haven't heard of such problem, however even if it sometimes does crash, you can save before and run it again.
Guppy Mar 9, 2017
Quoting: MaximBI haven't heard of such problem, however even if it sometimes does crash, you can save before and run it again.

So prescience is required to play the game?

Everybody loves a car analogy;

While this car does have a tendency to crash you can simply bring it to a full stop before it happens and then start it again to avoid it.
MaximB Mar 9, 2017
This is a Wine port, it's not perfect.
The developers don't have the knowledge to make it, this is why I'm asking the community.
If the developers can assists you, they will.
But they don't have much resources or manpower, or Linux knowledge.
It's better than nothing.

off course a native port by someone who knows how to make one is the best solution, however they can't pay him.
And I'm doubt one will work for % of the Linux sales.
crt0mega Mar 9, 2017
I like the idea. "Enclave" got a decent Wine port recently and it works like a charm. Haven't tested their Wine port of "Two Worlds" yet but I prefer running that game with Gallium-Nine and I highly doubt that their port supports it.
MaximB Mar 9, 2017
The wine "Two Worlds" port, runs perfectly on my system, without any issues.
Guppy Mar 9, 2017
Quoting: MaximBThis is a Wine port, it's not perfect.
The developers don't have the knowledge to make it, this is why I'm asking the community.
If the developers can assists you, they will.
But they don't have much resources or manpower, or Linux knowledge.
It's better than nothing.

off course a native port by someone who knows how to make one is the best solution, however they can't pay him.
And I'm doubt one will work for % of the Linux sales.

The issue isn't that they are using wine to "port" a game - the issue is their approach to customer support is requiring the user to be prescient (means being able to see the future);
Quoteif it sometimes does crash, you can save before and run it again.

And have no intention of supporting their "port", adding the penguin icon on steam means it's a supported platform. If the developers have no clue about Wine or Linux they can't offer support ( any more than you could support the engine of a super tanker ship ) ;
Quotethey never used Linux - they have no idea how to make a Wine "port"

Basically they are hoping to get some extra cash from Linux users by claiming Linux support with a unsupported wine port, which quite frankly is a dishonest business practice.
MaximB Mar 9, 2017
Frankly it wasn't their idea to make a Linux/wine port.
I asked them, and they said that as they don't know how to do it, they can't.
But if the community or someone else would fo it, then they could include the port.

So I can't blame them.
Blurps Mar 9, 2017
g000h Mar 9, 2017
I like this a lot. Assuming someone can be found to help out. I am very interested in trying out "The Age of Decadence" and "Dungeon Rats", *IF* I can play them under Linux. They are both in my GOG and Steam Wish-Lists, waiting to be bought.

Looking forward to more news on this. And I hope this prompts some more developers to adopt this approach.

Better a WINE port than no port at all.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.