Civ 6 won't launch
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
soupercooper Mar 10, 2017
I'm having some issues with civ 6 launching on steam. Whenever I launch civ, it gives me this error:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cooper/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
>>> Adding process 6003 for game ID 289070
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/cooper/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
/home/cooper/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/./Civ6: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /home/cooper/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/./Civ6)
/home/cooper/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/./Civ6: /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /home/cooper/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4)
/home/cooper/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/./Civ6: /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by /home/cooper/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4)
/home/cooper/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/./Civ6: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/home/cooper/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/./Civ6: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv117__class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
>>> Adding process 6004 for game ID 289070
Game removed: AppID 289070 "Sid Meier's Civilization VI", ProcID 6003 
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

I've installed all missing libraries, used export __GLVND_DISALLOW_PATCHING=1, tried native and runtime, all just spit back the same error message. The strange thing is when I ran KDE, it worked find but as soon as I switched over to i3, it doesn't work.

Excited to get it running though :D
lucinos Mar 10, 2017
Are you using steam-native-runtime package?
Quoting: lucinosAre you using steam-native-runtime package?

When I try to install steam-native-runtime. It installs fine, but it won't let me launch it

Quoting: GuestHave you tried setting STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES to 0? (And using the Steam runtime at the same time, I guess, otherwise it doesn’t make much sense.)

I tried running it with steam-runtime enabled and still wouldn't launch.

Civ6 is the only issue though. Ark and Mount and Blade run fine.
catskinsox Mar 10, 2017
Hi, I just did an Arch install and my Civ6 is doing the exact same thing. I've had no problems with it when running other distros. I'll start trying to troubleshoot and if I find anything, I'll post it here.

Carl

UPDATE: This worked for me: either steam-native --reset or steam --reset (I did steam-native and it worked, so I didn't bother with steam --reset). From what I read, the error message isn't really the issue. It's actually still showing in my log even though the game is working now. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

Tried it and Civ6 launched and is working :D Wonder why I had to reset it though. Anyway thanks for helping!!

UPDATE: I closed steam for a few hours and now civ6 stopped working again? . Is there anything else I can try?
catskinsox Mar 11, 2017
Quoting: soupercooperTried it and Civ6 launched and is working :D Wonder why I had to reset it though. Anyway thanks for helping!!

UPDATE: I closed steam for a few hours and now civ6 stopped working again? . Is there anything else I can try?

I had the same thing happen. After looking at the log again, I saw some messages about not being about to enumerate network devices. They seemed to be around the time I tried starting Civ. I looked at Settings | Networking and it said "oops something wrong NetworkManager needs to be running" So I installed NetworkManager, enabled it and rebooted. Civ 6 is working again. Now I have no idea if this actually had anything to do with Civ not running. Maybe this is another temporary fix.. just rebooting. But it's worth looking at I guess.

I'll check again in a few hours to see if it stops working again.
soupercooper Mar 11, 2017
Quoting: catskinsox
Quoting: soupercooperTried it and Civ6 launched and is working :D Wonder why I had to reset it though. Anyway thanks for helping!!

I had the same thing happen. After looking at the log again, I saw some messages about not being about to enumerate network devices. They seemed to be around the time I tried starting Civ. I looked at Settings | Networking and it said "oops something wrong NetworkManager needs to be running" So I installed NetworkManager, enabled it and rebooted. Civ 6 is working again. Now I have no idea if this actually had anything to do with Civ not running. Maybe this is another temporary fix.. just rebooting. But it's worth looking at I guess.

I'll check again in a few hours to see if it stops working again.

That's probably why it worked for me on KDE but not on i3. KDE probably has something similar to that. I'll try it out and see if it's a permanent fix.
catskinsox Mar 11, 2017
I just tried again, and Civ is still working. So hopefully it'll stay fixed for me. :)
soupercooper Mar 11, 2017
I'm pretty sure I enabled it, but civ6 still isn't launching. Maybe I messed up the configuration?
catskinsox Mar 12, 2017
I'm not sure what would be the issue on your end. I'm still learning, so a lot of this stuff is still above my head. Sorry. :(
saildata Mar 13, 2017
Quoting: soupercooperI'm pretty sure I enabled it, but civ6 still isn't launching. Maybe I messed up the configuration?

If you're still having issues, my general Steam debugging (in order)
* GTS (Google That S*) ;)

* Look at the files in /tmp/dumps (Some of the game/Steam logs)

* rm -rf /tmp/dumps kind of reset the state without rebooting. Always worth a shot..
* ls -latr /tmp see what else was put in /tmp (newest is at bottom of list, remove the other relevant Steam/game temp files)
* If you're more comfortable with rm, just do that.
* Also, no need for sudo on your own files in /tmp

* find . -readable -cmin -$MINUTES
* run this from $HOME, I put it in $HOME/bin, which is in my $PATH so that I can use it on demand (getrecentfiles (speaking of lazy devs.. using tab completion here/no upper-case, lol)
* For example, find . -readable -cmin -5 would give you all the files changed in the past 5 min (helpful when digging for logs, or config files)

* Create an archive of the config file, use the above example to find the config files, if it's a Unity3D game check out the folder $HOME/.config/unity3d
* Move the archive somewhere else ($HOME/bak) and remove the local config file.
* Relaunch the game
* If there are errors, then get Steam to "verify local files"
* If needed, unpack the tar.gz file back in place. If the game works fine for, say, a week or so feel free to remove it

* Look at the libraries the game ELF is linked to. For security, recommend using objdump instead of ldd
* In the steamapps/common/game find the executable (ls -alF gives you a star on the file name to make them easy to spot
* objdump -p game_executable | grep -i need make sure all the libraries point to SOMEthing
* see if they are linked to 32bit (such as /usr/lib32) or 64bit (/usr/lib or similar)

* If you have a lot of free time, look for a tutorial on debugging using strace & friends, it can be daunting but it is effective. Make sure you redirect the output to a file for easy grep/file view access.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.