You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
ipv6 issues
catskinsox Mar 23, 2017
Has anyone had issues with ipv6 on Linux? I just recently had a major issue (re)installing Linux Mint 18.1, where it kept crapping out at the end of the install when it was trying to install grub. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, so I switched over to Korora Cinnamon and it installed fine.

But I kept longing for the simplicity of Linux Mint (or I'm just used to it more), so i finally decided I was going to figure it out if it killed me. So something came up where I needed to install an app while in the live cd. apt hung up, however, and I noticed the address it was trying to download from was in ipv6 format. Then it hit me. I remembered having enabled ivp6 in my router a while ago, and that I had a problem quite some time ago when it was enabled before where apt wouldn't work with ipv6. So I decided to disable ipv6 within the live cd and tried to do the install. It worked fine. Apparently at the point grub is being installed, the installer tried to download some dependencies and just hung up. So problem solved. I just turned off ipv6, the installer went through, and then I disabled ivp6 for apt in the installed system.

So then I was (re)installing plex on this new install, and it wouldn't grab the info from TheMovieDB for my movies. Tv shows populated posters and metadata just fine, but the movies would not. So I decided to try disabling ipv6 at my router to see what happens. Sure enough, all the metadata and posteres populated fine for the movies. Is this something I need to worry about? Why am I having all these issues with ipv6?

Any help would be appreciated.

Carl
Ehvis Mar 23, 2017
I've been on IPv6 for a long time now (I estimate about 8 years) and never had a problem with it. However, my provider is one of the rare ones that started early (2002). Most have just recently started working on it. So it may very well be that your ISP is the problem here.
damarrin Mar 25, 2017
Oh, so that's why my Mint install kept crapping up when trying to install grub the other day? Though I have ipv6 either disabled outright or set to link-local only. Anyway, it was a bit of a joke and it never ocurred to me to look to my network for a solution, I just installed it manually afterwards.

If anyone's wondering why the Linux market share is so low, that's it right there. Untested crap, bugs left unfixed for years and marked fixed after the hardware they ocurred on becomes obsolete, you name it. Mint fails to install grub for no reason, making the system unbootable, Ubuntu takes forever to connect to wifi and even then fails to resolve half of websites after sleep since 16.10, LibreOffice crashes on startup on dual-gfx Macs since last October (not Linux-related, admittedly, but still open source), and even if it doesn't it's ridiculously slow, Lightning takes 10 minutes to refresh a few CalDAV calendars, it's really hard to recommend people switch away from commercial software. Not fringe case bugs, either, huge game breaking ones that make software useless and make people look at you like you're some kind of loon telling them to try something else just because it's not Windows, not proprietary and they don't have to pay for it.

Omg, it feels so good to get this off my chest. ;-)
nattydread Mar 25, 2017
Is it a UEFI install with mint? I had the same problem the other day. Turns out there is a bug in the mint installer. If you install while disconnected from the internet it should work (it has for me and a few others).
I feel your pain!

But in general there are workarounds :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.