Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Getting rumble to work with xbox 360 wireless controller
Duke Takeshi Mar 27, 2017
Hey guys, I wonder if one of you could help me with this: I own an original microsoft xbox 360 wireless controller. The controller itself works just fine, except rumble doesn't work at all. For some games it would be really cool to have rumble working. This is what I tried so far to get it running:

1. used alternative xpad driver from steamos (steamos-xpad)
2. used xboxdrv with different configurations
3. Tried to turn on rumble emulation in steam using big picture mode (I tried this with xpad, steamos-xpad and xboxdrv drivers)

I got rumble to work using xboxdrv, the thing is rumble won't be emulated properly. The controller simply rumbles all the time when one of the trigger buttons is pressed.

I also heard that rumble works better with wired xbox 360 controllers. Maybe it would help to switch the wireless controller for a wired one? Any experiences?

Ah btw: I run an antergos system with lts kernel.

Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT:
I actually got rumble to work at least in shadow of mordor by clicking the respective field in the feral launcher settings. Now rumble works just fine even with my wireless controller. However, it doesn't work in Rocket league but I read that other people who run the game on linux have the same problem.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.