Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
SteamVR status in Linux.
slaapliedje Apr 7, 2017
Hey everyone,

I know some of you are wanting to know, and some just don't give a damn. What I'm going to attempt is a weekly update on the status of SteamVR. Though I may skip a week or two here and there if there aren't any updates to it.

I just did a quick rundown, I'll post my computer specs in here, and then will try to list what works and what does not.

Specs; nVidia GTX 1080, 32GB of DDR4 RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K, Vive and Steam Controller. I'll be doing my testing on Arch Linux, because it's easiest to install the nvidia beta drivers (currently at 381.09 beta). I use Gnome-Shell as the desktop (so it should be similar to SteamOS.)

Onto the show!

First some issues; Lighthouses don't auto-wake up. In Windows there is the option to install a bluetooth driver so it can do this wirelessly. The option is there in Linux, it just doesn't do anything. Solution: Unplug and plug in the Lighthouses, they'll power on and sync.

The Setup crashed. Seems to me it did this when I first tried it under Debian as well. I chose Standing instead of Roomscale, and it gets to the point where you have to put the headset on the floor. It seemed to corrupt the install at that point and I had to uninstall it, then re-install it and again choose the beta for it to all be there. Second run worked for the setup. During the Audio test, I did have to change the gnome sound (pulse) output to "Speakers - USB Audio Device" (At least now we know it does go over the USB and not the HDMI). The controller Tutorial worked perfectly.

Onto the software! I can't tell yet if the various environments work or not. I sort of got one of mine to work (it synced the ones I've installed via steam before), but it never loaded up most of them, and it took really long for the one (a Matrix style pair of chairs with an old style TV). The skins for the Lighthouses and Controllers loaded fine, though it wouldn't allow me to add more skins for either, and the workshop button for the background didn't work either.

The big "Desktop" button at the bottom didn't do anything but turn white. Seemed a lot of the settings didn't do anything either.

Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter works perfectly. Not much else to say except the game is a blast and the level I'm on.. I'm getting my ass handed to me.

I tried to load Destinations, but it just made the environment black (not sure if this is an issue with it, or the fact I was playing with skins while it was trying to load. (Quick update even before I post this... Desinations does seem to work, and the environment loaded, it had just caused lag and ultimately SteamVR to hang.)

Descent: Underground, Alice VR, Windlands and Universe2 Sandbox load up, but only displays on the monitor, not in the headset (If I were a betting man, I'd say it's because they don't support Vulkan, and SteamVR under Linux ONLY works with a Vulkan renderer.)

So to Summarize, if you MUST play Serious Sam in VR, or if you are wanting to visit strange places and play some weird mini-games in Destinations. Then you may want to dive in and give it a play. But for now it's pretty buggy.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.