Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «11/178»
  Go to:
malek69 Jun 28, 2017
Quoting: ziabiceExcuse my dumb question, how do you install the game? I haven't had luck running Gog Galaxy (it doesn't download files), should I use the DRM-free install files downloaded one by one using the web browser?
use www gog

Shmerl Jun 28, 2017
lgogdownloader is way better for such huge files, than using the browser.
malek69 Jun 28, 2017
@Shmerel save

velen "Hanged Man's tree" wine 2.11 staging nvidia blob
ziabice Jun 28, 2017
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: ziabiceExcuse my dumb question, how do you install the game? I haven't had luck running Gog Galaxy (it doesn't download files), should I use the DRM-free install files downloaded one by one using the web browser?

Use lgogdownloader to get the files, and then install them in Wine.

Thanks, I'll give it a try! :)
Shmerl Jun 28, 2017
Quoting: malek69velen "Hanged Man's tree" wine 2.11 staging nvidia blob

Does this look correct to you, or the ground is still too dark? It does seem better to me than what Mesa produces.

If it is Mesa bug, I'll post it to their bug tracker.
ziabice Jun 28, 2017
For newcomers, hope this could help others installing the game.

I used Manjaro and its package wine-staging-nine version 2.10, 64 bit. Used also playonlinux.

Downloaded the game using lgogdownloader:

lgogdownloader --download --game the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_game

This downloaded 26 files, with lots of extras, for nearly 43 GB of data. You should downloand only what's really needed.

Installation:

Launched Playonlinux, selected "manual installation", created a new 64-bit wine prefix using my system WINE, I havent installed anything, no libs, Dll: absolutely nothing. My default installation was set to "Windows 7".

When asked I then selected the file setup_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_2.0.0.52.exe

Game installation started and finished in 10 minutes. When asked by the installer I choose "Exit", not "Launch the game". Playonlinux searched an executable to bind to the WINE prefix, I choose witcher3.exe, then this part of the installation finished.
I then installed the DLC file: selected the "witcher3" icon in playonlinux, then "configure" from the toolbar, then "Miscellaneous", then "Launch a program into the wine prefix" and choose the file setup_the_witcher3_dlc1-16_2.0.0.52.exe. When finished choose, as usual, "Exit".

Then I configured the WINE prefix: enabled "CSMT" using the "Staging" tab into the "WINE control panel", set the video memory amount. Then run the regedit and set the proper keys to enable OpenGL4.5 compatibility (see the Appdb page).

Run the game and everything worked as expected: there where the graphical glitches from Wine-staging 2.10, but that was expected.

Honestly everything went buttersmooth, I'm impressed!

EDIT: fixed some typos.
Shmerl Jun 28, 2017
Quoting: ziabiceRun the game and everything worked as expected: there where the graphical glitches from Wine-staging 2.10, but that was expected.

Honestly everything went buttersmooth, I'm impressed!

It's good that it worked, but you should really use 2.11, or build Wine from source otherwise (see howto on the AppDB page). sample_c_lz patch makes a huge difference.
Avehicle7887 Jun 28, 2017
WARNING: HEAVY SCREENSHOT POST

Screenshots are from Wine 2.11 Staging, Nvidia Drivers 375.66 GTX 1060 6GB - Mint 18

FPS Test on Medium details average 22-30 in most areas, some stones on the floor appear to be garbled/messed up shape:

Some floor texture bugs still remain, from my testing this will mostly occur when there's an area under that floor in this case a cave inside the well:

This is a screenshot inside the well, the texture bug appears only from one side:

Foliage screenshot, most of it works good but everytime I close and reopen the game I have to set the setting from the options otherwise only the branches will appear (aka Wasteland mode):

The Cave exit from inside (underwater):

The Above Cave door but from the outside, the highlighted area is supposed to be invisible but shows a texture instead (you can swim through it):

That's it for now, far as I can tell AMD Mesa users are getting the better experience so far, Shmerl's screenshots show high FPS and as far as I know both the RX480 and the GTX 1060 are very close in performance.

Another thing I noticed - With the game set to use cores 0-7 (Ryzen 1700X), I was having a lot of microstuttering, setting it to 0-5 helped a bit. May not work the same for everyone but it does help in my case.
Shmerl Jun 28, 2017
Quoting: Avehicle7887Some floor texture bugs still remain, from my testing this will mostly occur when there's an area under that floor in this case a cave inside the well:

Yes, the missing floor bug is this one: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43131

Please add your findings there. For the list of other open bugs see: https://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch="witcher 3"

If you don't see your bug, please open a new one.

Also, did you experiment with __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS (variable for Nvidia's blob)? Try setting it on and off and see if it helps anything.
Shmerl Jun 29, 2017
Regarding some stuttering. Using GALLIUM_HUD, I added metrics for disk I/O, and noticed that some stuttering correlates to spikes in disk reading. Most probably the game is loading some resources on the fly, which can cause slowdowns. I bet using an SSD can mitigate some of that (I'm using regular HDD).

GALLIUM_HUD is really a great tool.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.