You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Shmerl commented on 25 May 2017 at 2:39 am UTC

Józef Kucia just implemented tesselation shaders in Wine (git), and it fixed missing / transparent surfaces for the Witcher 3:

There are still some quite annoying distortions left, but it really starts looking much better now.

Ehvis commented on 25 May 2017 at 8:51 am UTC

I had a feeling that the ground problems were a tesselation thing. Good to see things implemented to rapidly. The improvements in rendering are going much quicker than I had expected.

g000h commented on 25 May 2017 at 11:55 am UTC

Well it's nice the progress getting Witcher 3 working in WINE. However, unless they release a Linux port, I won't buy it (for Windows) unless it is massively discounted. And the lowest it has been on sale to date is 50% off (for the GOTY).

Arehandoro commented on 25 May 2017 at 3:13 pm UTC

I have the game already so glad it's near completion to be fully playable on Wine

eldersnake commented on 26 May 2017 at 8:22 am UTC

I was one of the poor (and perhaps stupid) suckers who pre-ordered The Witcher 3 years ago, thinking it was gonna come to Linux.

And, of course, never played it to this day. If it can eventually work properly in WINE that would be pretty awesome and I'd finally get to experience the damn game.

That said, I thoroughly learnt my lesson.

qptain Nemo commented on 26 May 2017 at 8:27 am UTC

I wonder if organizing a "we bought it because now it's playable in Wine" thread on Steam or CDPR forums when it becomes the case, is a good idea.

Also yeah, goes without saying but this Wine progress is awesome.

Keyrock commented on 26 May 2017 at 12:35 pm UTC

That's great that the rendering issues are being solved. How is the performance? Last time I checked it was pretty rough.

Shmerl commented on 26 May 2017 at 2:50 pm UTC

KeyrockThat's great that the rendering issues are being solved. How is the performance? Last time I checked it was pretty rough.

The screenshot shows basic metrics for max settings using AMD RX 480 with 1920x1200 resolution.

damarrin commented on 26 May 2017 at 5:53 pm UTC

43 fps is certainly playable.

I got W3 from GOG years ago on the promise of the Linux version. Stupidest thing I did that day.

Shmerl commented on 26 May 2017 at 6:22 pm UTC

It's still a good game, so I don't think you wasted your money, since it will become playable one way or another. But yes, you could have waited and bought it much cheaper, once it would have became playable.

TheRiddick commented on 27 May 2017 at 9:14 am UTC

For a 480. that is pretty impressive!

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Official Livestreams
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - the final attempt?
  • Date:
Community Livestreams
  • RPGoodness: "Dragon Age Origins" (via Wine)
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook