Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Linux tablet?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Guppy May 31, 2017
Besides the somewhat dated nexus 7 what are the options for a Linux tablet (pure Linux, not Linux on android)
Boldos Jun 11, 2017
You might want try Aquaris M10 Ubuntu edition?
Have it and it is quite good:
https://store.bq.com/en/aquaris-m10-fhd-ubuntu-edition-negro

Of course, Ubuntu "Touch" is discontinued by Canonical; on the other hand, there is a growing community to step into the free place and continue the development further...
https://www.patreon.com/ubports/posts
Guppy Jun 12, 2017
Thanks I will definitively look into that
Guppy Jun 12, 2017
Does it have to be label "ubuntu edition" ? I can only seem to find the regular kind and I worry it would have a locked bootloader.
Julius Jun 12, 2017
Don't go for a Ubuntu tablet right now, it is quite unlikely that there will be significant support or updates for them in the future.

You can buy a Intel based 2in1 system which can often run GNU/Linux reasonably well and install a distribution with a GNOME 3.24 or higher on it (as it has great touchscreen support).
Boldos Jun 12, 2017
Quoting: JuliusDon't go for a Ubuntu tablet right now, it is quite unlikely that there will be significant support or updates for them in the future.

You can buy a Intel based 2in1 system which can often run GNU/Linux reasonably well and install a distribution with a GNOME 3.24 or higher on it (as it has great touchscreen support).
Yes, these Intel systems are also there, although I would speculate these are quite expensive, aren't they?
Also, since Guppy mentioned "tabled" and "Nexus 7", my brain decoded these keywords as Guppy wanting an ARM-based solution ;)
Guppy Jun 12, 2017
The 2in1's are very nice, and very pricey - if I ever decide to get a laptop I might look at them but for now I'm just looking for emergency desktop for the few things that can't be solved via an ssh terminal on my phone :)

But even so I think I will hold off until ubports get better footing it seems a little too raw atm.
Shmerl Jun 12, 2017
By native you mean not using libhybris? I'm looking for one myself.
slaapliedje Jun 12, 2017
I bought the Asus T303UA, unfortunately I think the fan is dead in it, or at least i sounds like it tries to start, but can't. And yes, very expensive, but it's also extremely fast (16gb of ram, NVMe 512GB storage, etc). While Linux worked great on it, the only thing I hadn't gotten to work was the Stylus. Everything else pretty much worked out of the box (on Manjaro, I think is what I installed. Debian had an issue with getting the Wifi working).

Sadly the thing overheats, so I haven't gotten around to really testing much on it beyond that. Though I will say it heats up more under Windows 10. I need to RMA it and get it fixed soon.
Boldos Jun 12, 2017
Quoting: GuppyDoes it have to be label "ubuntu edition" ? I can only seem to find the regular kind and I worry it would have a locked bootloader.
On the link I provided earlier, the BQ Store lets me directly order Ubuntu M10FHD device for €279.90, so you should be able to buy it there directly too :)

In general, Ubuntu Edition devices from Aquaris are labeled as real ubuntu editions, even on back-cover :)
All Aquaris Ubuntu devices (phones E4.5, E5HD, tablets M10, M10FHD) exist in both Ubuntu and Android versions.
Not sure if Android versions are flashable with Ubuntu images out of the box (although they *should* be).

If unsure, there is a list of supported devices on UBPorts, so if you manage to get any of these unlocked/jailboken, you can try imaging them with latest Ubuntu Touch images:
https://devices.ubports.com/#/
Julius Jun 13, 2017
Not sure what you mean with expensive, but you can get some reasonably fast 2in1 Cherry Trail systems that work with Linux for around 300$.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.