Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Running Darksiders on Linux
strycore Dec 3, 2012
I know there are been a lot of debate around the latest Humble Bundle and lots of angry Linux users, but I suppose that some people still bought it.

Now that I have the games, the major goal is to get them running. I already had Metro 2033 and knows it runs pretty well with Wine, tried Red Faction and Saints Row with no luck and still have to download Company of Heroes.

That leaves me with Darksiders which I got running but still have issues to make it fully playable.

First thing, I worked my way around the graphical glitches by running winetricks ao=enabled.
Then, with my Playstation 1 controler + USB adapter, the character was stuck looking at the sky, totally unplayable. Given this is a console port with no controller configuration, I ordered a XBox 360 controller which I got today.
Now the game is almost playable but the camera keeps rotating on and on, and the up / down camera is controlled by the X axis of the 2nd analog stick. The left / right camera was mapped on the Left Trigger, which would explain why it keeps spinning (you have to press it halfway to center it).

I tried fiddling with xboxdrv and jstest-gtk but made no progress, so maybe someone here knows more about Xbox controllers and Wine than me.
minj Dec 3, 2012
Have you tried joy2key?
An old thread I have came across in the past: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646564
strycore Dec 3, 2012
I haven't but I highly doubt it would work since the game seems to deactivate keyboard inputs when a joypad is plugged in. Furthermore, xboxdrv seems to be a better alternative than joy2key when using a Xbox 360 controller (see : http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/ ).

One thing I didn't try when I created the thread was simply unplug the controller and using the keyboard + mouse. It works fine. Still a few graphical glitches but at least it's fully playable. Wish I got the joypad working, this is not the kind of game that is really enjoyable with a keyboard+mouse combo.
n30p1r4t3 11 years Jul 22, 2013
I never got my Xbox 360 controller working, so I until I bought my new keyboard and mouse I gamed in Windows.
strider Aug 3, 2013
Oh, I already had a 'strycore' account, well nevermind.

I managed to find a configuration for xboxdrv that makes Darksiders playable. It's not perfect, there are stille some misconfigured buttons but this should not affect the game a lot. 

The config I use is the following: --deadzone 8000 --trigger-as-button --ui-axismap X2=ABS_Z,Y2=ABS_RX,LT=ABS_RY,RT=ABS_RZ
    --ui-buttonmap Guide=BTN_BACK,Start=BTN_SELECT,DU=BTN_MODE,DR=BTN_THUMBR,DL=BTN_THUMBL,TL=BTN_TL2

It's also available automatically with Lutris here: http://lutris.net/games/darksiders/ (please note that the installer itself is not yet finished, so it requires running some stuff you'll find on WineHQ AppDB in order to get the game running)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.