You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
What's your favorite open source game/clone?
dodrian commented on 12 July 2017 at 5:29 pm UTC

I'm looking for suggestions of open source games. Any favorites?

dodrian commented on 12 July 2017 at 5:33 pm UTC

To start off: it's a perennial favorite that I tend to re-install every other year: Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, a clone (and expansion) of a game of the same name by the legendary Chris Sawyer.

Bonus points, the graphics and sound have been completely redone meaning the entire game is free - no need for the original game data files.

tuxintuxedo commented on 12 July 2017 at 5:35 pm UTC

For me, FreedroidRPG is one of the best, also SuperTuxKart.

Samsai commented on 12 July 2017 at 5:39 pm UTC

Xonotic is one of my favourites. Don't play it a lot but I enjoy it when I do. Online multiplayer is quite brutal though since the few people that play the game seem to pretty much have mastered the skills. Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is also a mighty fine game if you like roguelikes (in the true meaning of the word).

Ketil commented on 12 July 2017 at 5:52 pm UTC

Wesnoth is my single most favourite opensource game project. Great game, not a clone, nice single player campaigns, and fun multiplayer as well.

Because I also love theme hospital I'd say corsixth is nice as well, but you need the original data files. It is a worse than the original in some ways, but high resolution and not needing dosbox is nice.

Gonza565 commented on 15 July 2017 at 8:56 pm UTC

OpenSpades & Xonotic. Only really Played instagib in Xonotic, but it's decent. I like Warsow, but the only active server is Clan Arena, and I get destroyed.

ronnoc commented on 19 July 2017 at 7:17 pm UTC

If I'm going by hours played (invested), it'd have to be OpenTTD. Otherwise, it's a toss-up between OpenMW and 0 A.D.

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts